Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hakan
thank you

cheers3.gif
and
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
I believe your car calls for 30. In Florida with the warm weather you could run 10w-30 year round.
Don't know if you use conventional or Syn but what ever you've used would be fine.

Last edited:
I would do a 10w30 for FL and use a high mileage oil for age. Maxlife is a good one but most name brand HM oils will be fine as well. Change it around every 4-5k.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Which engine

2.2 I4 or 3.0 V6?

Yea, which engine do you have???

If it's not leaking or burning oil, I'd use a 10w30 in FL. It's hot enough that there's no need for 5w.

I had a 98 Camry V6 and used 5w30 all it's life. Currently at 300k it's sipping on 10w30. I'm also in FL.

I'm in N FL and I usually run a 10w-30

Running M1 AFE mostly to find if I could see a MPG difference. I haven't.

If you start seeing high oil consumption then move up to a 40.

You could run a straight 30 if you felt like it.

In my 2.2L I was running Maxlife but didn't like that it would darken up after 5k, so I'm starting to use Mobil Super Synthetic. Will it matter? I doubt it. I'm not sure that these engines care all that much about what kind of 5W30 goes into them. 10W30 in warm weather, why not?

I do prefer synthetic though, IIRC these engines do run a bit warm. I do tons of highway--but will wind it out on occasion--so I just stick with 5k intervals. Purely out of "feel good" interval.

I buy my filters by the case online. Been a year but I was getting OEM for $4 each (10 at a time). I'm not convinced that oversized nor super fine filtration is required. YMMV.

My camry seems to like Quaker State hi mileage 10w30
I would recommend that. I find it at walmart cheaply around $15. The manual says if you never drive below 0degrees C. 10w30 is acceptable.
I went through plenty of highway runs with ambient temperature 100+ degrees F. its very warm down south here
Very minimal oil loss at the end of the OCI and QS Hi Mi 10w30 is also resource conserving rated and syn blend.
Just my opinion. Good luck

i live in central florida, have 99 camry with 220K miles. should i use 5w30 or 10w40 synthetic, or any advice? thanks

New Camry is specd 0w-16 so I'm going to tell you that the 0w-20s as I find their cst @ 100 of mid 80s (i.e 8.6) to be quite remarkable given it's lightweightness which as you know helps in idling and short trips andlets just say stip and go versus highway hauler or rural. An by rural, i.e Nebraska-ish but not to the exlusion to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
i live in central florida, have 99 camry with 220K miles. should i use 5w30 or 10w40 synthetic, or any advice? thanks

New Camry is specd 0w-16 so I'm going to tell you that the 0w-20s as I find their cst @ 100 of mid 80s (i.e 8.6) to be quite remarkable given it's lightweightness which as you know helps in idling and short trips andlets just say stip and go versus highway hauler or rural. An by rural, i.e Nebraska-ish but not to the exlusion to.
The new Camry has nothing to do with the old ones, so just because they recommend a thin oil in the new ones doesn't mean the old one should go thinner.

This car is specced for 5w30 & 10w30 only.

I agree Nick1994. Go with a 5w30. I like Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic in my lady's 98 Camry.

Why do people always say you have to have warm weather to run 10W-30 ?

Most temperature charts say above zero you're good.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why do people always say you have to have warm weather to run 10W-30 ?

Most temperature charts say above zero you're good.

I would run 15W-40 year round where I live.

But 10W is easily good down to 0F or -20C.

LOL, unanimous xW30 in States.
In Kuala Lumpur, it would be unanimous 10/15W40, and a trickle for 20W50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back