CARQUEST RED 85334, 3,000 miles TORN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening folks. This filter and VWB 5w30 was off a scrap friend of mines 2011 Hyundai Sonata with almost 200k on it. I put a KIA/HYUNDAI OEM Filter and some Maxlife blend 5w30 in and on. Not impressed at all and I told friend to get FRAM Tough Guard, ULTRA or WIX. He does 50/50% short trips/highway driving. Enjoy the pics
smile.gif

Last two pics are what I use to do oil changes with. Dad got it for my birthday gift last year. $26~ off Wal mart.com. Works wonderful too as it took me under 15 minutes to change my friends oil and then jack car up and change filter. No problems with it and I’ve used it tons so far

Car51 - It appears that Purolator struck again. The date code appears to be Purolator.

F11H02D1
F=Fayetteville, NC
11=November
H=2016
02=second day of the month
D=Line number D
2=Shift #2

This one is very reminiscent of the virgin cut&post I made of a Carquest Red R85372. I avoided them because of the wide pleat spaces. Manufacturer is now different.
Carquest virgin Cut&Post R85372

Thanks for the well done cut & post...

Last edited:
Adam did that one vain in the filter come unglued? I think the Tough Guard was a solid choice. I got a few of those on sale I'm going to try on the Corolla.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Adam did that one vain in the filter come unglued? I think the Tough Guard was a solid choice. I got a few of those on sale I'm going to try on the Corolla.

Nah, garbage filter just tore. I installed a KIA/HYUNDAI OEM Filter not Tough Guard although next time I’ll use a Tough Guard.

I have a TG 4386 on the Camry in my sig and going to do 3 maybe 4 5k oci’s
smile.gif

Yet another tear-o-lator, really a shame to see in what used to be a solid parts store filter back when they were Wix and then Fram for a short time. All of the Car Quest filters I have left are all Wix made, one red and 5 blue 85348 (PH3614) size filters and 6 85060 GM V-8 filters (red). I don't trust a purolator anymore, which is really a shame. When I first found this forum the Pure One was the go to filter. Oh how times have changed.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Yet another tear-o-lator, really a shame to see in what used to be a solid parts store filter back when they were Wix and then Fram for a short time. All of the Car Quest filters I have left are all Wix made, one red and 5 blue 85348 (PH3614) size filters and 6 85060 GM V-8 filters (red). I don't trust a purolator anymore, which is really a shame. When I first found this forum the Pure One was the go to filter. Oh how times have changed.

Yep, ya can’t fix stupid

I have the R85334's from the other manufacturer and they have been very solid so far. I have used 8 or so out of the 20 I bought so I'll keep and eye one them for sure.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Car51 - It appears that Purolator struck again. The date code appears to be Purolator.

F11H02D1
F=Fayetteville, NC
11=November
H=2016
D=Line number D
2=Shift #2

This one is very reminiscent of the virgin cut&post I made of a Carquest Red R85372. I avoided them because of the wide pleat spaces. Manufacturer is now different.

Since when? I have not heard they changed. Purolator was the last one I knew of. I know it was Wix, then Fram/champ, and now Purolator.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Originally Posted By: WellOiled

F11H02D1
F=Fayetteville, NC
11=November
H=2016
D=Line number D
2=Shift #2

Since when? I have not heard they changed. Purolator was the last one I knew of. I know it was Wix, then Fram/champ, and now Purolator.

I don’t know when Purolator started making the Carquest line. The topic filter is Purolator made by date code.

That’s a Purolator made filter that should have went down the reject conveyor. WIX or NAPA Gold are fine. I prefer Hyundai/KIA OEM filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
This has been a problem for over 10 years...

Only since around Feb-Mar of 2014 ... but it will probably go on for 10 years.
laugh.gif

So anybody contacted Mann, Purolator, or Advance/carquest lately?

Last time I did, couple months ago, they just gave the "sorry... will tell the correct team about it..." and nothing else except more bad filters.

[email protected] = Purolator
[email protected] = Mann

Can't find a e-mail for advance or carquest so posted to their facebook page.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
This has been a problem for over 10 years...

Only since around Feb-Mar of 2014 ... but it will probably go on for 10 years.
laugh.gif

Surprisingly, Purolator has not acknowledged there is a problem nor have they fixed the problem. I am somewhat amazed how quickly the media can tear. I think I will just bin the 2 Purolator made filters left in the stash.

OMG, still tearing... I dropped these filters like a bad habit years ago after the first few reported tears. They used to be such a great filter.

Last time I did, couple months ago, they just gave the "sorry... will tell the correct team about it..." and nothing else except more bad filters.

[email protected] = Mann

It's a waste of time to email them.

I am doubtful it has hurt their bottom line as next to nobody cuts open a used filter except for the BITOG faithful.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

[email protected] = Mann

It's a waste of time to email them.

I am doubtful it has hurt their bottom line as next to nobody cuts open a used filter except for the BITOG faithful.

I reported a problem with a Motorcraft and got no where. Therefore a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back