2013 Infiniti G37 | PP Euro L 5w30 | 4,254 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairly happy with the results on this oil. It is an ACEA C3 spec oil meeting a number of other stringent requirements. I used it because it's of a recommended viscosity for the vehicle and not resource conserving, i.e. starting HTHS >= 3.5. Because it is designated as a diesel oil, my concern was whether or not TBN will hold up on US gasoline containing more Sulfur as compared to Sulfur content of the diesel fuel. Looks like there is nothing to worry about.

The really cool thing about this oil is that it has been available at my local Walmart. Hope it continues. Either that, or Pennzoil keeps having ACEA A5/B5 certification on their oil for gasoline engines. Castrol has dropped ACEA A5/B5 and I no longer use it as a result.

Let me just add that the vehicle has 15 mile one way commute 70% of which is highway and on weekends used for short 5 mile runs in town.

Looks good. Low insols, good flash, strong ending viscosity and low "wear metals".

This isn't the first time I've seen the PP Euro-L oil perform well in engines it's not technically spec'd for. It seems to be a great all-around oil. I have yet to see a bad UOA report with it.

Reminds me a bit of M1 5W30 ESP, also a C3 lower SAPS oil.
I wonder if this PP is also a very low NOACK loss oil like the ESP?
I have a feeling that I'd have to venture over to the Russian Oil Club to find out...

Last edited:
This oil is also API SN rated.

Personally, I think these ACEA C3 oils like PP Euro L and M1 ESP are best on the market. They probably offer an overkill protection for a naturally aspirated gasoline engine. Being also designed for diesel engines these oils can withstand higher temperatures better. NOACK should be on the lower side also because they are designed for higher temperatures. C3 plus manufacturer specs ensure superb protection. And all that with low SAPS which prolongs catalytic converters' life. Also low Calcium which has just in recent years been shown to contribute to occasional pre-detonations (I think scientists are actively studying this phenomena now). C3 is also a "stay-in-grade" spec and requires starting HTHS to be 3.5 or above.

I had read most of the "High-Temperature, High-Shear Oil Viscosity: Measurement and Relationship to Engine Operation" by James A. Spearot book a few years ago and was sold on the importance of HTHS. The book is a collection of an engineering research on the subject of oil as it applies to engine operation.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
This isn't the first time I've seen the PP Euro-L oil perform well in engines it's not technically spec'd for. It seems to be a great all-around oil. I have yet to see a bad UOA report with it.

It actually is specified. The car calls for an SM or newer 5w-30, with an ILSAC rating only being optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back