Replace or repair over the hood micorwave

Status
Not open for further replies.
GE JVM1740, stainless steel 1.7 cu.ft. 1000w 300CFM, pretty generic spec except a real metal / stainless steel handle (looks nice), manufactured in 2008 and installed in 2009 I think.

The ventilation motor is getting pretty noisy (worn bearing, but still works) after about 8 years of use. Replacement motor-fan is $150-180 new. I can find a used one on ebay for about $20-50 but being used I'd expect it to only last about 1/2 as long. If it can work for another 5 years I'd say I got my money back.

A replacement stainless over the hood range of similar spec would cost about $180-300. Ideally I would like to have stainless (not black stainless) again so it matches the rest of the kitchen, if I absolutely have to I can go black (but prefer to pay a little more instead). I really dislike those grey plastic handle on many stainless microwave because it makes it look much worse. If I buy, I'll be doing the install and hopefully the holes line up so I can install it easily. Last time I had to drill new holes when up grading microwave and returned an LG because the holes are outside the 12" deep cabinets above. I don't know what were they thinking when they make that spec.

What would you do it if you were me?

I'd wait 2 more weeks and grab a deal on Black Friday. I'd recommend a Whirlpool personally. If you can wait I'd expect deals on a full stainless model for around $150 or probably less. At that price it doesn't really pay to repair it (I was recently faced with a similar choice when a Frigidaire microwave stopped heating).

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
I'd wait 2 more weeks and grab a deal on Black Friday. I'd recommend a Whirlpool personally. If you can wait I'd expect deals on a full stainless model for around $150 or probably less. At that price it doesn't really pay to repair it (I was recently faced with a similar choice when a Frigidaire microwave stopped heating).

^^^ This and ....
I would send a nice PM to user MR. Nice to let you use his GE employee discount....

P.S. PandaBear, kitchen reno thread update? Missus happy on a scale 1-10?

Ahh, the kitchen reno.....

The cabinets, counter top, island, plumbing are done. The wall is patched and textured, but not painted. We have to figure out a carousel / lazy susan under the base corner cabinet and cover up the drain pipe around it. Wife is too burnt out to continue and I'm too busy in my new job to deal with this (I lost my last job because I was too burnt out in the kitchen reno to work effectively, marriage survived but job didn't).

Will the GE employee discount works on top of Black Friday deals? I'm still a bit disgruntled over GE charging me $90 (was already discounted from $180) for a touchpad design defect. I would personally prefer another brand unless the GE deal is better which is unlikely. Thanks in advance of you and MR. Nice guy, I know it is not his fault.

Miss is on a scale of 8/10 happy. Me about 6/10 for personal reason.

Last edited:
They're short money. The Lowes black friday circular is already out. They have stainless for between $150, 170-250. So it's a no brainer to replace it. For me, when an appliance breaks, if it's simple, I'll fix it once, but if not, I just get a new one. Bad motor sounds like it's time for a new one.

My GE over the range microwave broke last year. Just stopped working. Replaced it with another GE thinking it would use the same bracket as my existing unit. Nope. Had to install a new bracket and drill new holes. Hope yours matches up and it's an easy install if you go new.

If its just a noisy fan.. maybe turn on some music?

Probably not worth repairing, maybe consider upgrading.

I know the panasonic inverter microwaves work really good.. but are they available in your
over the range hood type? who knows.

The inverter type lowers the cooking power vs cycling on and off to "make" lower power.

this link might be helpful.. I'd take with a grain of salt.. but at least it lists some options.

http://www.toptenreviews.com/home/kitchen/best-over-the-range-microwaves/

I've never had or seen one that was vented outdoors to even warrant using the exhaust fan on them. Any chance at a good used fan assy. on eBay?

Like said, the chances of all the mounting lining up is about zero. I've installed 4-5 of these over the years and dread it every time. Ugh.. I've never had luck with the stupid paper or cardboard templates that come with the mounting hardware. I've had a few were there were already several holes in the top cabinet, such that I had to use large fender washers for support.

I forget the name brand of the previous unit with a ~2007 date of manufacture we had in our kitchen. Looked nearly new, yet stopped working like it came unplugged. Tried all the u-toob troubleshooting to no avail on various fuses and overloads. I replaced it with a Whirlpool unit. Same good times getting it mounted, etc.

Replace it, you got your money's worth from it. What will go next and most likely very shortly is the Magnatron. The heart of the microwave and not worth fixing at that point. Save the money you were going to spend to fix this one and put it towards a new microwave. I used to sell appliances at Lowe's for many years, I speak from experience. And they don't build appliances like they use to because they'd be real expensive to purchase now a days if they did.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: JTK
I've never had or seen one that was vented outdoors to even warrant using the exhaust fan on them. Any chance at a good used fan assy. on eBay?

Mine actually vents outside.. sometimes if it rains just "right" I get a puddle in the microwave in the morning... ugh.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am not planning to just oil the motor bushing or bearing. It was gradually getting louder and louder and I think it started having a new tone of noise, so I suspected that it has worn into another layer of the bearing metal or the motor brushes. Like you guys said the main reason for repair instead of new one would be to drill holes, that'll be some 2 people effort. Plus there's always the risk that new bracket will not line up with the old one so either we have to take out some back splash (glass tiles) or we'll see the wood in the back, neither is preferred.

Just went to Lowes and saw a few display / customer return Whirlpool that was heavily discounted. $259 down to $99 (control panel replaced) and $110 (previously installed but returned) with no warranty however. They don't seem to have any cosmetic damage on the front. Is it a risk worth taking?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Replacement motor-fan is $150-180 new.

What would you do it if you were me?

I'd avoid any web sites that sell "genuine factory parts". Check to see if the motor has any kind of generic brand/model number and type that number into Google. There's a chance that you could pick this motor up a lot cheaper from some surplus site.
If it's not available anywhere cheap, get a new oven.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I'd avoid any web sites that sell "genuine factory parts". Check to see if the motor has any kind of generic brand/model number and type that number into Google. There's a chance that you could pick this motor up a lot cheaper from some surplus site.
If it's not available anywhere cheap, get a new oven.

Most of the one one step cheaper (less than $150) I see is "like new" used. probably from a dead microwave due to the famous keypad malfunction in an apartment that has no external vent, so the occupants never bother turning on the vent.

One guy promise to send me a like new, no grease at all unit for $45 on ebay. That may be the least amount of work for hopefully another 2-5 years of life before the magnetron die.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back