1970 VW Beetle Mobil Delvac 1300 15/40 2,304 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Is 2 qts of oil in 2300 miles considered normal?"

It leaks, not burns. Oil cooler, oil pump cover, valves covers, fuel pump, distributor drive, push rod tubes, etc. Take your pick. If you've ever owned an air cooled VW, you're probably familiar

"That's obviously not the factory engine, what is it?"

1955cc motor (76 x 90.5), Weber 32/36 DFEV progressive carb, dual-port heads, Engle 100 cam, dog-house cooler. Built as a mileage motor, 85+HP. KCR transaxle, double spider gears. Front disc brakes, rear Type 3 drum brakes. 0-60 mph in about 9 seconds, cruises all day at 75 and tops out at just over 100 mph. As reliable as a stock 1600cc VW, but with the performance equal to or exceeding a Porsche 912. Competed/completed 2013 Peking to Paris Rally and 2017 Great Race.

More here: https://www.facebook.com/PekingToParis2013LittleRed/

My father has a 60 bug convertible that has been in my family since 1963. Original 1200 36hp motor in it. My Dad runs Shell Rotella HD 30 in his bug. I have been wanting him to do a UOA for the longest. He has lately been needing to add Lucas Oil Stabilizer but there are very little to no engine oil leaks and we all know how rare that is in a bug haha.

Very cool to see a UOA for a bug. Love these cars. My Dad's belonged to his Father and we are planning to just pass it down. He gets offers ALL THE TIME from people wanting to buy it and he just says NOPE.

Thanks for sharing this UOA.

Dub On
19.gif

Jeff

I wish I still had my 1970 Delux Beetle. By the way, Delux meant it had tilt out rear side windows. I loved that little car. Nothing really special other than forged 85.5 Mahle jugs and a C-25 Scat cam. I ran 20w50 Valvoline in mine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
lately been needing to add Lucas Oil Stabilizer

What possible reason could there be to use that [censored]

Originally Posted By: vintageant
...1955cc motor (76 x 90.5), Weber 32/36 DFEV progressive carb, dual-port heads, Engle 100 cam, dog-house cooler. Built as a mileage motor, 85+HP. KCR transaxle, double spider gears. Front disc brakes, rear Type 3 drum brakes. 0-60 mph in about 9 seconds, cruises all day at 75 and tops out at just over 100 mph...

does it have an oil filter?

Originally Posted By: vintageant
"That's obviously not the factory engine, what is it?"

1955cc motor (76 x 90.5), Weber 32/36 DFEV progressive carb, dual-port heads, Engle 100 cam, dog-house cooler. Built as a mileage motor, 85+HP. KCR transaxle, double spider gears. Front disc brakes, rear Type 3 drum brakes. 0-60 mph in about 9 seconds, cruises all day at 75 and tops out at just over 100 mph. As reliable as a stock 1600cc VW, but with the performance equal to or exceeding a Porsche 912. Competed/completed 2013 Peking to Paris Rally and 2017 Great Race.

More here: https://www.facebook.com/PekingToParis2013LittleRed/

So it's SLIGHTLY different than my 1972 Beetle was
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Whimsey

Good to see no contamination from coolant..
lol.gif

Learned to drive on a 1970 model. No tilt out windows though so interior ventilation was awful....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back