EZEE Shed by Arrow - My Foot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a word of advice folks... Bought a couple of these 8x7 EZEE metal panel sheds from a manufacturer called Arrow through a local home improvement store here called Rona, for a rental property I have.

These sheds have to be the worst design I have seen and the directions have different part numbers in each language so you have to use all 3 sets to figure out which parts you have because all 3 sets are different for some reason. The instructions are also quite vague at best so you are left sorting out which way things go and then taking things apart because it's backwards etc.

The panels all clip together using friction to hold them together into one another but they don't grip firmly together so they come apart as you are trying to put on the top/bottom channels. In my opinion this could have been remedied with some more screws.

Anyways I thought I would let everyone know in case someone was looking for a cheap shed just for the lawn mower/bikes sort of thing to stay away from these. They are anything but "EZEE" and they need a lot of customizing to make them sturdy. To 2 full days to assemble on of these because so much time was spent trying to sort out the panels that kept un-clipping / the directions that made no sense / part numbers that didn't exist.

https://www.rona.ca/en/galvanized-steel-ezee-garden-shed-charcoal-8-x-7-04585009

Last edited:
I don't have experience with this particular brand, but I find a lot of these types of things fall short with their assembly/instructions. Once together they are actually okay, but directions usually consist of a poor quality picture of the thing in a million pieces with multiple intersecting arrows pointing at unclear positions.

The best are the ones that have numbered stickers on the pieces yet the stickers all fell off and are sitting in the bottom of the box.

This was ok for the numbering because it was either printed on the painted pieces or stamped into the metal on the unpainted pieces. It's just you had to check 3 sets of directions because 2 would have the wrong part number. It's a good think there was English/French/Spanish directions.
grin2.gif

I bought a Lifetime branded premium plastic 10x12 shed from Costco for my house and while the instructions were good and the assembly was easy the screws are falling out of the roof section only 3 years later and the roof panels were loose. I had to come up with an alternate method to secure the roof panels from the inside by screwing some flat plat aluminum to it and then screwing it to the walls. It's a good thing that all the panels are double walled so you can screw into it without going to the outside and creating a leak.

It's like manufacturers just don't care about checking their products for durability. I'm not expecting it to last 30 years or more but surely it shouldn't be a problem after 3 years. Their answer is to ship them back the defective roof pieces and they will ship me new ones... Yeah because that isn't gangster expensive.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Tuff Shed is probably the best, I have seen many of those shed you describe that are pretty much falling apart after a few short years. When we bought our current home here in Lincoln it came with one of those plastic composite sheds like the ones sold by Sam's club. The UV rays from the sun have pretty well weakened the plastic to the point where it was cracking and finally I tore it apart and put it to the curb. I would have never bought it but it came with the house it was a joke basically. A quality shed built with real lumber is the best best IMHO

As I'm out of room with this current shed and don't have a garage I'm thinking of building a custom one with a second level that I can put the tires etc. up there. I think I'm going build it custom.

I bought a steel panel shed from one of the big home improvement stores and I put it together which was a little hard but only the first time.
I could have done it quick if I was building a second.
The thing is incredibly tough.
I put it up about 10 or more years ago and just put a new roof on it last week and painted it because the other roof had holes from trees hitting it and was Rusty and dented. I think it was $250 back then, now they are $299.
I recently got another for free and my son and I disassembled it and rebuilt it in his backyard.
These are the all steel, thin panel steel buildings and they are tough. Just anchor them and they will take a beating.
Iam impressed.

Last edited:
I love how Ikea can put assembly instructions together without using any letters.

screen_shot_2014-08-18_at_2.45.22_pm.png

I have an 8x10(?) Arrow, and it was a pain to put together, but not that bad. Two people is really required to get the walls up, although I think I managed on my own after that.

I used 2x3's to shore up mine. Halfway up the roof is a C channel, and a 2x3 fits inside that. I put one in, anchored to the C with a few sheetrock screws, one under each roof half. Then a 2x3 going across under that, and finally a vertical 2x3 under each 2x3 junction. Did that for snow load (although I pull snow off after every storm). It has the side benefit of quieting down the structure too--booms less due to the wood, it seems. Mine is on a 2x4 platform with 3/4" plywood on it, so its well anchored now.

Took a tree hit no less, but is still up. Leaks a bit though. Paint does not last on them; might be worthwhile to slather on house paint after the initial shine wears off. That might get it to last longer. But mine is at least 10 years old, so it will last that long.

I had one of those metal sheds years ago. Bought it from Sears. Even then the instructions were vague and a few times I had to disassemble to correct what I thought the instructions had told me to do.

Several years later during a windstorm, a large spruce tree fell right on top of that shed. It was around 0200 and it sounded like a bomb had gone off. Trying to take the shed apart was futile. We cut it apart into pieces.

I think stick framing would be much simpler but as to cost, that would depend.

Those super tiny screws were hard to pick up and get them lined up on that super tiny drilled hole. A cordless drill is your friend.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Those super tiny screws were hard to pick up and get them lined up on that super tiny drilled hole. A cordless drill is your friend.
I had a battery operated drill and tork-driver on hand. I never use screw drivers or hand-held Allen keys etc. any longer
lol.gif

Last edited:
Oh...an early post asked about what you can do with your used oil....I just remembered....put a bunch on those cheap arsche sliding doors that come with those pre-fab metal storage shed like you're building.

all of the above is why I went in this direction.

PS: that corner of the yard floods slightly (deeper by the fence)
Hence the deep gravel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back