Moog Complete Knuckle Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something new from Moog.

Quote:
New MOOG complete knuckle assemblies include all of the premium components – MOOG knuckle and backing plate with corrosion-resistant E-coat; MOOG wheel hub assembly; National® axle bearing; axle nut; and lock ring – needed for a complete repair. By relying on this comprehensive, bolt-on solution, service providers can save time and eliminate the need for special tools or a press, resulting in an easier installation.

http://www.moogparts.com/moognews/MOOG-Complete-Knuckle-Assemblies-Simplify-Bearing-Replacement.html

Ha!

I always wondered why no one had done this.

Press in bearings are incredibly stupid when it comes to replacing them.

If I kept the focus, I intended on either buying a complete new knuckle and pressing in the bearing/hub and replacing the knuckle or getting a junkyard one with a good bearing.

Cheaper (and easier) than paying a shop or to struggle getting the press in bearing out.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Ha!

If I kept the focus, I intended on either buying a complete new knuckle and pressing in the bearing/hub and replacing the knuckle or getting a junkyard one with a good bearing.

Cheaper (and easier) than paying a shop or to struggle getting the press in bearing out.

Its a 10-15 min job to press them. I certainly wouldn't buy a cheap Chinese knuckle with Made in China National bearing and hub to save a few min. OE brake shields are usually good for 10+ years the ones from China probably less than half that.
Thanks I'll pass.

I recently did the one bearing on my toyota echo. Everything was so corroded into place it took a couple hours to actually remove the knuckle. After that I dropped it off at a shop and paid 1 hour shop time ($120 CAD) to press out and press in a new bearing ($30CAD). I looked for a whole knuckle assembly, but there was none available. If I could have got one for sub $200 I would have done it in a heart beat. Would be able to skip the shop and just swap out knuckles.

On last front bearing, chose Timken USA and had it pressed in. Could have bought made in China hub with bearing for less but until made in China bearing lasts as long as made in U.S.A., will avoid China made bearing.

Originally Posted By: thrace
On last front bearing, chose Timken USA and had it pressed in. Could have bought made in China hub with bearing for less but until made in China bearing lasts as long as made in U.S.A., will avoid China made bearing.

Uhhh ... the last few sets of Timkens were made in China ...

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I like how it has the brake/dust shield installed.

The shield on some are a simple 3/4 bolt on requiring only rotor removal but on some others its bolted on behind the hub, to change these the hub must be pressed out and with it the outer inner bearing race.

Of greater concern is to me anyway is the quality of the material used for the knuckle itself, this is such a critical part a failure is usually catastrophic. Never buy a used knuckle from a front end total if OE new is no longer available but if the car was just junked they tend to be fine, always check it out carefully even have it fluxed or dye checked if aluminum if anything at all looks suspicious.

Sorry, with Moog doing so much importing from third world countries and declining quality in many of their products this is one part I really don't want to use. If it was the old Moog 20-30 yrs ago I probably wouldn't have any reservations. JMHO.

Moog is just the name now, I went through 2 tie rod ends on an ML500 within 6 months before I went to an OE brand. Both times failed in the same spot, and had tons of play. Id worry if these come along at a too good to be true price.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Ha!

Its a 10-15 min job to press them. I certainly wouldn't buy a cheap Chinese knuckle with Made in China National bearing and hub to save a few min. OE brake shields are usually good for 10+ years the ones from China probably less than half that.
Thanks I'll pass.

Not 10-15 minutes on something that's been run in the salt for the last 15 winters

I had a bearing go bad on the front of the 96 civic. The knuckle was so far gone the bearing couldn't be pressed out without damage to the knuckle! In this case, just bought a new knuckle from Honda. Figured this one lasted 21 years.

But Moog's quality is really going down the drain, quickly! Let them learn the hard way that when they go cheap people will learn to stay away from them. regardless of the price. Only when their stock price is affected will they notice.

Not 10-15 minutes on something that's been run in the salt for the last 15 winters

I am talking actual press time once its off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back