How often do you check your oil level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my old focus: once a month.

On the new Forester - every other fillup. Not sure if my FB25 engine is going to be an oil burner and don't want to find out the hard way.

My other two engines seem to leak/burn a bit so usually every time I drive them.

Almost every time I start the car.

My car runs an oil level check when I turn the ignition on. It takes about 5 seconds so usually I let it run before starting the car.

Depends on the car.. not too often.. maybe every 6-8 weeks.
None burn oil.

When I had cars that used oil every other gas fillup usually.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Almost every time I start the car.

My car runs an oil level check when I turn the ignition on. It takes about 5 seconds so usually I let it run before starting the car.

Cool, what kind of car?

Since my engines don't use oil in my normal 10K OCI, it's not necessary to check it for oil level. However I do pop the hood every 2-4 weeks to check under the hood for a general visual check, and while at it I do pull the dip stick.

Usually every 1,000 miles on the Jeep, Mini, and ti. The 2er doesn't use any oil, but every now and then I check it though the Vehicle Status menu if I get bored.

Every 2nd tank of gas. That way if there is a consumption issue or a problem develops it's not un-noticed. That said my aunt used to have one of those oil burning 3.0L Mitsubishi engines in her Caravan and she would wait until she heard the lifters making noise (2-3 Litres of oil low) to add oil. It lived well until 300,000km.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Probably once every two weeks. The Gen Coupe "makes" oil due to fuel dilution and the Accent has really slowed in what it does use due to a high mileage oil. The Accent may need 1/2 quart in 7500 miles.

Quite often until I see the usage history over a couple of months. If there is no oil burning, leaking, etc over a few months I rarely check until about 1/2 way into the 5K oil change time. The only problem I have encountered in the last few years was a leak on my GS300. It would leak about 1 qt every 5K. The cam seals and that pulley above them on the right was the culprit. I thought it was sucking up the oil as my Daughter's 2001 IS300 was doing exactly the same thing.

Wife's car--once every week or two as she drives a lot.

All others--whenever it comes to mind and sitting level. Generally once a month. I like to check cold but occasionally will check at the gas station on a long trip just to make sure. I will almost always check right before leaving for a long trip. I'm OCD like that I suppose.

Last edited:
Once a week unless the car doesn't get driven.

Either sat or sunday morning I go outside with my hot cup of cofeee - set it down - pop the hood check the oil and fresh up the WWfluid which gets consumed at a high rate because my vehicles are rarely covered and get parked outside.

I also glance at the coolants, and other fluid reservoirs and notate colors and levels.

Then I walk around the car looking at the tires and check for nails or sidewall damage.

Growing up with farming machinery, aviation and boating background I can't help when I walk up to complex machine from a mower to a plane but to start checking fluid levels. and looking for problems leaks or issues.

Its ingrained in me at a molecular level.

UD

Last edited:
Considering that I'm on my second Jasper engine in 6 months, I'll be checking it once a week until my confidence is restored... but I might be assuming too much on that.

One can't be too careful with fragile stuff.

2001 Tundra V8 198K miles - never
2006 TSX 170K miles - never
2017 Accord Sport 10K miles - never
1968 Corvette 427 Roadster unknown milage - almost never, but it doesn't get driven much
1965 Olds 4-4-2 98K original miles - almost never, but it doesn't get driven much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back