Delvac 1300 15/40 in gas engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago the gallon of Mobil Delvac 1300 15/40 said it was for diesel and gasoline engines. I purchased Mobil Delvac for my garden tractors, estate mowers, farmall cub tractor. I use the 15/40 during the summer. Butswitch toa 10/40 in my tractors that I run In the wintertime. Since it doesn’t say for gasoline engines I emailed the engineers at Mobil. They said to continue to use it.

I just thought if anyone was wondering why the15/40 delvac didn’t say for gas engines anymore on the label. Food for thought.
Ever tractor I have earns it’s keep. No shed queens here.

I been using Mobil super 10/40 since I was 15yo. I’m 67yo now. Right now in my Subaru’s it’s mobil synthetic oil.

Last edited:
They dropped the gas engine rating because of EPA/CARB requirements. It has to do with Phos and Zinc levels and Catalytic Converters ... If you see any of these heavy duty diesel engine oils with a JASO MA rating (motorcycles) you know they are good to use in gas/petrol equipment
smile.gif

The oil is still fine for use in off-road equipment. But, do to on-road regulations, they are not seeking a gas engine rating any more ...

See this thread for similar discussion: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...SM?#Post4536605
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Y_K
Delvac 1300 is CK-4/SN and that means a max 800 ppm of phosphorus. I haven't looked at a bottle, but the PDS says that it is indeed a universal oil. I believe that PQIA also tested it and their results confirmed the low ZDDP levels.

You don't have to worry about poisoning catalytic converters any more with the Delvac 1300 oils. The other Delvac oils..? I've lost track and not sure about them. The same goes for the new Delo CK-4 oils. They're also SN rated with low phosphorus.

D1300 was a great oil for diesels, maybe not so much any more, with the dual rating and reduced Z&P.
Perfectly fine for OPE and cars that take a 40 weight.
IMO, selling less to diesel owners has caused the price to bottom at WM. Down to 10.49 a gallon, just a tick above their SuperTech offering, which, BTW, looks much better on paper at this point.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
D1300 was a great oil for diesels, maybe not so much any more, with the dual rating and reduced Z&P.
Perfectly fine for OPE and cars that take a 40 weight.
IMO, selling less to diesel owners has caused the price to bottom at WM. Down to 10.49 a gallon, just a tick above their SuperTech offering, which, BTW, looks much better on paper at this point.

New D1300 CK-4 works great in my 7.3 PSD.......... UOA

In response to my own post above, the non ILSAC grades (like 15W40 and 5W40) are still allowed higher phosphorus, right? I mean they can still claim SN with the older (higher phos) formulas assuming that the oil actually does pass the SN tests. I wasn't too concerned about such, so I could be wrong. Either way, Delvac 1300 is now a lower ZDDP oil.

One of the good alternatives is Chevron Delo 400 15W-30 SD (severe duty) which is an off-road oil for heavy equipment and not required to meet the low Phos limits. Last time I checked it was still 1,200 PPM
laugh.gif

You can order it online, and if you buy enough it's free shipping and no sales tax
smile.gif

Delo 400 SD SAE 15W-30 is approved for:

• API Service Categories CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, SM
• Cummins CES 20081
• Detroit Diesel DDC Power Guard 93K218
• DEUTZ DQC III-10 LA
• Mack EO-O Premium Plus
• MAN M 3575
• MB-Approval 228.31
• Renault VI RLD-3
• Volvo VDS-4

Delo 400 SD SAE 15W-30 is recommended for:
• Caterpillar ECF-3

So it's not like it's an odd ball oil or anything ...
laugh.gif

Product Data sheet here: https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=413394&docFormat=PDF
smile.gif

Last edited:
Delo has been posted and I asked about ST approvals since someone thinks it’s as good as the big players have…

Who approved it?
ST= $9.44 … Delvac = $10.97 … Delo = $12.57 …

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
In response to my own post above, the non ILSAC grades (like 15W40 and 5W40) are still allowed higher phosphorus, right? I mean they can still claim SN with the older (higher phos) formulas assuming that the oil actually does pass the SN tests. I wasn't too concerned about such, so I could be wrong. Either way, Delvac 1300 is now a lower ZDDP oil.

And that may be the issue. Some of these are voluntarily reducing ZDDP levels, even though they don't have to in some grades. I suspect that is to win over fleet operators with modern mixed gas/diesel fleets ...

For older equipment, I'd be looking at oils that have not gone that route, as noted above
smile.gif

Anyone have current additive numbers for SuperTech? Delo SD is still 1,200
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back