Heated washer fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I didn't think I would want/need

Until I put it in today

Cleans the windshield quite well, and that morning frost is removed faster then waiting for the engine to heat up and defroster to take action

Just give it a good power and ground (pulls 60 amps peak)

Put it in line to your washers, purge the air and it turns on and off automatically

CpeL8Hb.jpg

AlphaTherm is a reincarnation of the company that went bankrupt when GM recalled their product for fire risk...
crazy2.gif

Is there a fuse that goes with it? Some heated washer fluid systems as add-ons where
known to catch fire, often when the car was parked!

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
AlphaTherm is a reincarnation of the company that went bankrupt when GM recalled their product for fire risk...
crazy2.gif

This is true, but I haven't heard any bad things about the redesigned models

AlphaTherm AT-38OD Windshield Washer Fluid Heater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034GW1WW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i9qcAb7XYQSJD

It's fused for 60 amps, and has (6 or 8 AWG?) wires

Apparently, Crimestopper (car alarm people) sell one now too, but it's not as prominent

It does kinda sound like a tea kettle when heating up, but hardly disconcerting

They claim internal heating temps of 140°-150°F, output at around 110°-120°F

After seeing it and feeling it, I doubt it'd damage a windshield

I'm more concerned about my cheap Safelite windshield

The heater doesn't start until it sees 13 volts +, so it won't work with a weak alternator, or key on engine off

And I wouldn't leave a trickle charger on it that spikes voltage

The Mercedes E-350 also has heated windshield washer fluid as standard equipment.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Interesting. I'd be slightly worried about cracking glass. What's the output temp?

I wouldn't worry about that. Mercedes has had heated washer fluid for decades. My 1992 300E had a coolant loop to heat the fluid. My 2005 S600 has a similar set up. Heated fluid washes well, and in very cold weather, there isn't that flash freeze/frost that you get with cold fluid.

I used to wrap small tubing (like 1/4 inch vinyl tubing) around the upper radiator hose, in a nice neat spiral about a foot long. Then cover it neatly with tape. This heated the squirter fluid nicely and worked really well once the engine was warm.

Now there are devices that do this by tying into the heater hose.

washer1-jpg.20220

And the electric devices are "on demand" only, so they are fairly instant. BTW, heated fluid cleans bugs more effectively! Even in warm climates.

Last edited:
My 2008 Cadillac CTS has heated washer fluid - factory equipped. Many other GM vehicles had it as well.

BUT! They issued a recall due to a fire risk on all GM models equipped. The supplier went bankrupt so no fix could be made so GM offered a measily $100 cash payment to allow dealers to disable it. I refused because the system is so nice and I have insurance. Never heard of a single fire happening, was just a design risk I guess.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
My 2008 Cadillac CTS has heated washer fluid - factory equipped. Many other GM vehicles had it as well.

BUT! They issued a recall due to a fire risk on all GM models equipped. The supplier went bankrupt so no fix could be made so GM offered a measily $100 cash payment to allow dealers to disable it. I refused because the system is so nice and I have insurance. Never heard of a single fire happening, was just a design risk I guess.

Way back when, my grandmother had leased a '08 DTS (down to the landau top and chrome wheel's w/vouges)

It was Gold Mist over Miami beige leather

I remember them removing the washer fluid and cutting her a check

If you want my opinion, I'd do this

-Get the recall done and get a check
-Replace it with the new and improved safer yet hotter unit
-Make $20~ in the process

http://www.alphathermusa.com/heatedwash-AT-37GM.html

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Way back when, my grandmother had leased a '08 DTS (down to the landau top and chrome wheel's w/vouges)

It was Gold Mist over Miami beige leather

I remember them removing the washer fluid and cutting her a check

If you want my opinion, I'd do this

-Get the recall done and get a check
-Replace it with the new and improved safer yet hotter unit
-Make $20~ in the process

http://www.alphathermusa.com/heatedwash-AT-37GM.html

Oh wow! I never knew that existed and a great idea! Thank you!

I've seen people use this for the meth injection to keep the 50/50 mix from freeing in cold climes.

Originally Posted By: andyd
The 528e has heated nozzles.

So does my old 530i, but I've never really understood that. Is it to keep the nozzles from freezing or to heat the fluid? If it is to keep them from freezing, then why heat only the nozzles and not the rest of the system? And if it is to heat the fluid, does the fluid really stay warm while squirting the distance to the windshield (after only being warmed up for the short time it passed through the nozzle)? I can't believe it does. The nozzles aren't "hot", only warm. It seems a stretch to think they impart a whole lot of heat to that fluid as it squirts through them.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
@kschachn I think both the nozzles and the fluid are heated.

No, I'm sure it isn't. There aren't any heaters in the reservoir nor in the fairly long supply lines. I've troubleshot that system before and all it has is a temperature sensor in the bumper and the heaters in the nozzles.

I always thought heated wiper blades and frames would be a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back