ACEA Credentials now require fee & get a trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACEA has traditionally been a self-certifying program, along with guidelines on how to claim the A/B/C/E categories on the back of the bottle. This all changes now with a new annual registration fee and trademark to go on the front of the bottle.

ATIEL_European_Lubricants_Quality_Management_System_Nov_2017.jpg

Article in Lube Report

Thanks for posting this.

I guess this is going to help weed out some cheaters, but is probably going to cause further price increases for the consumers due to registration fees that oil manufacturers will just pass on to the buyers.

Quote:
ATIEL introduced the EELQMS trademark, hoping that it will come to be recognized as a symbol of oil quality similar to the donut and starburst symbols used by the American Petroleum Institute

Heh... they really need to be aiming higher than this. To me, the donut symbol represents a pretty low standard. But I like the concept of having a unique logo that can be easily identified on an oil container.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Waiting for the mass outrage and haters like when GM charged a fee for dexos certification.

IIRC, the outrage over dexos licensing was over the fact that GM was asking for royalty fee off every bottle carrying the dexos logo as opposed to a flat annual fee.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Waiting for the mass outrage and haters like when GM charged a fee for dexos certification.

This is one more step towards higher prices and more specific oils for cars which the auto makers are headed towards.

Originally Posted By: Garak
At 975 euros a year, it shouldn't break any oil companies' backs. They probably spend more money on damaged containers due to shipping in one day.

They probably spend more on pens and photocopy paper at that price.

Maybe some lesser companies have been not been playing fair with the old self certification system and this new system is to help bring them under control.

BTW I've never seen the API donut symbol in Oz, the specs on the bottle just say "API SN".

Yes, that makes me wonder about the ACEA symbols in North America. I wonder what we'll see as things start to roll out. Of course, there aren't a lot of ACEA options here, at least in comparison to other parts of the world, and the ones that are tend to usually be the big players and their top offerings, as in we don't see any 10w-40 or 15w-40 A3/B4 options. I'd really be interested in what we'd see with the ACEA E lubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back