Jeep CJ7 w/wet cavity between the Dana 300 & AX15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im in a bind. I have a 1985 Jeep CJ7 and blew the factory T5 transmission. I researched swap options and for the mostly city driving year round from 40 above to 40 below centigrade and medium duty off road use i opted to swap in a medium duty AX15 between my inline 258 (4.2) and the Dana 300 transfer case. Im done all the work now and am getting ready to put fluids in.

I am an Amsoil fan and planned to put MTF into the AX15. I then planned to put 75W90 Gear oil in the Dana 300 (soft yellow metals in both).

The swap introduced a cavity between the AX15 and D300 with an upgraded double seal. I hate relying on shaft seals to keep fluids seperate though and dont believe it will prevent sepage back and forth. This cavity will likely become a wet cavity and i sealed the mating surfaces anticipating the eventuality. Any advice on running the SAME fluid in both gear boxes (the AX15 and the D300)?

First post so please be kind.

I do want to stay away from certain GL5 fluids that are not specifically marked as safe for soft yellow metal.

Thanks

i ran amsoil MTG in my my ax15 and dana 300's and the dana 20's i had years ago. no issues.

I am not sure what the difference between a MTF and xxw90 GL-4 is, but I've strictly used GL-4 gear oils in manual transmissions.

I want to say Amsoil prefers you run the same fluids in the gearbox and transfer case in the event of a leak. This question rose up a while back on here when (I believe) someone needed something for their manual 4x4 Toyota. Either way, if you're using yellow metal friendly oils in both, you should be fine.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

Should be no issue. you dont have any hypoid gearing in either of those.. so neither requires a gl-5

And a gl-4 will be fine in both.

I would just get whatever MTF you want to make the MT happy.. and most transfer cases are good with just about anything.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
It wont leak between them if you put the seal in correctly. I hope you used the 94+ ax15 with the external slave.

Yep. 94 AX15, external slave, clock ring, clipped the shift link ear, double seal on the input shaft of the d300, custom fab a bell housing dust cover, modified a 94 transmission mount, snugged up the skid plate, all new bolts, new seals, new bearings, re-built the d300, new flywheel and clutch, new rear main seals, one piece pan gasket, and valve cover gasket, oil filter, new magnetic drain plugs, quick shifter, twin sticks, and a bronze skull shift knob to top it off Alberta redneck style!

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
The 300 is a stout unit that certainly shouldn't care about small details of the lube in it. I'd probably run Ams's 75w90 GL4.

Why 75w90 over the MTF?

Originally Posted By: Rand
Should be no issue. you dont have any hypoid gearing in either of those.. so neither requires a gl-5

And a gl-4 will be fine in both.

I would just get whatever MTF you want to make the MT happy.. and most transfer cases are good with just about anything.

Thats what im thinking.

Good looking Jeep. I just hope they don't use a lot of salt where you're at.

Sadly, it's pretty rare to see a CJ or any AMC era Jeep on the road here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back