Top Fuel dragster, and the winner is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to her and the team. They earned it.

Another season past. About a month and a half off, before prep for winter testing starts.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Who and when was the 1st woman to win that title?
Shirley Muldowney in 77, 80 and 82.

Drag racing seems to be a part of motor sport where women can compete and win at the very top level. I dare say there are others, but I suspect not formula one or Indycar. One thing all formula one drivers hare is considerable upper body strength.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Claud
Drag racing seems to be a part of motor sport where women can compete and win at the very top level. I dare say there are others, but I suspect not formula one or Indycar. One thing all formula one drivers hare is considerable upper body strength.

Claud.

Indycar doesn't have power steering but F1 does, but there seems to be no women on the radar for an F1 drive.
Anyways, congrats to Brittany.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Claud.

Indycar doesn't have power steering but F1 does, but there seems to be no women on the radar for an F1 drive.

The real issue is many of the men in a race behave much differently around a women driver. So on a shared track its not likely to happen anytime soon.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Claud.

The real issue is many of the men in a race behave much differently around a women driver. So on a shared track its not likely to happen anytime soon.

Yeah, I'd assume there's plenty of guys who can't handle getting beat by a woman and start trying either hero moves, or dirty driving to keep their position.

Attended the NHRA 58 nationals in Oklahoma City. First time we had ever seen a dragster with two engines. No christmas tree then but a flagman. Also remember Art Arfons and the Green Monster. Remember it ran about 160 mph. Whole meet was very exciting for kids from New Mexico. Very lame by today's standards. Times change.
smile.gif

What percentage of the driver/team/car would you assign a weighting to in determining race outcomes?

I'd figure the car 50%, support team 30%, driver 20% or something like that. Is that close?

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
What percentage of the driver/team/car would you assign a weighting to in determining race outcomes?

I'd figure the car 50%, support team 30%, driver 20% or something like that. Is that close?

I've been involved in this sport for about 15 years now.

You can't win without a good driver, a good team, and a good car.

Lots of people think they can just hop in one of these machines, and instantly be great. I've never seen that happen yet. Invariably, the best drivers will have spent years honing their skills in slower classes.

So, if splitting the importance of each component (driver,team,car) I would split their importance equally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02SE
You can't win without a good driver, a good team, and a good car.

Lots of people think they can just hop in one of these machines, and instantly be great. I've never seen that happen yet. Invariably, the best drivers will have spent years honing their skills in slower classes.

So, if splitting the importance of each component (driver,team,car) I would split their importance equally.

Excellent. The kind of reply I was looking for....thanks.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Attended the NHRA 58 nationals in Oklahoma City. First time we had ever seen a dragster with two engines. No christmas tree then but a flagman. Also remember Art Arfons and the Green Monster. Remember it ran about 160 mph. Whole meet was very exciting for kids from New Mexico. Very lame by today's standards. Times change.
smile.gif

But that was when drag racing was fun. I've spent many evenings watching vintage drag racing videos on You Tube.
Do a YouTube search on "Ingenuity In Action" to get a strong dose of 50's Americana.

I went to my first drag race in 1964.
Wow!
Smoke and nitro fumes everywhere, plus the top fuel guys were almost going 200 mph.
The '60s were the best times
I saw the birth of the Funny Cars and Pro Stock.
Not a lot of rules,run what you brung at the smaller strips.
By the start of the 70's improvement in tires and clutches made tire smoke obsolete and rear engine dragsters took the soul out of Top Fuel.
But I still have a lot of good memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back