Looking for decent noack/lower saps for VW TSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently running pennzoil euro 0w40 in my VW 1.8tsi. I'm really looking to get the lowest noack I can, and the lower the saps the better. Is there something better than the euro I'm using, in your opinion? I'd really like to try the Euro L, but it doesn't have the VW specs. Frustrating as I think it would fit the bill well.

Also have some valvoline mst in my stash, which has lower saps, but the noack isn't great...

Help appreciated.

There are different philosophies on this matter and it's not an exact science, yet. While I do not use Amsoil myself, I'd check out Amsoil product code AEL. I'm thinking the oil that forms deposits on the intake valves in a direct injected engine is caused by oil seeping past the valve stem seals. Oil seeps past the valve stem seals by design in my opinion. Noack is moot in this scenario. The level of ash matters however.

I had the pleasure of cleaning the intake valves on my GTI when I replaced my intake manifold around 82K. It's not that bad since it's on the front side of the engine and that there are four cylinders to deal with. My car ran great until the manifold conked out and ran great after cleaning the intake valves and replacing the intake manifold with the new one.

Both my Jettas have done fine with Pennzoil. I dumped the FF on my 17 at 3k and put in Pennzoil. Price is $10 after rebate. Can't beat that.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Just run Castrol 0W-40.

MAYBE you'll have to pull the intake somewhere up over 100k miles. So what?
Why exactly did you have to pull the intake? I know you like Castrol. Castrol is a great oil. I ran 5w40 and 0w40 Castrol exclusively in my 12 Jetta for the first 100K. The engine still looks like it did when new.

Not sure how cold it gets in Illinois but, if it can cope with your winter, Amsoil 10W30 has a very low Noack.

Why are you concerned about low SAPs for a gasoline engine? This only ever had any relevance to Diesel PDFs. All that stuff that Lz was peddling about how you need low SAPs in gasoline to avoid IVD deposits was self-serving techno-drivel. Don't buy the lie...

Keep in mind, some of the recommendations are for 504/507 which have lower TBN's so it's going to affect your OCI.

iirc, Castrol 0w40 SAP's is about 1.15 ppm.

SAP's can play a role in the amount of the deposits that build in the intake valve. Part of the certification testing for 504/507 is the intake valve buildup test, the before/after mass of the intake valves

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Keep in mind, some of the recommendations are for 504/507 which have lower TBN's so it's going to affect your OCI.

Yup. I just assumed the OP had a good understanding of this trade-off when asking for lower SAPS oils, but maybe he didn't?

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Currently running pennzoil euro 0w40 in my VW 1.8tsi. I'm really looking to get the lowest noack I can, and the lower the saps the better. Is there something better than the euro I'm using, in your opinion? I'd really like to try the Euro L, but it doesn't have the VW specs. Frustrating as I think it would fit the bill well.

Also have some valvoline mst in my stash, which has lower saps, but the noack isn't great...

Help appreciated.

RAVENOL VMP 5w30 - Factory VW 504 00 approved (TBN 6,6 and Noack 7,2). This oil is developed with the Audi Sport TT Cup race series. All of these cars use the 2.0L. This is more less the same/similar to your 1.8. This would defiantly fit your bill for the low noack and saps. It is a little pricey but definitely has VAG quality and support. Any of the Ravenol VW 502 00 spec oils would work great with less cost over the Ravenol 504 00 specs.

I'm running Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5w30 in my gen 3 ea888 powered GLI (car in my signature). I'm not sure if this engine will have the same intake valve buildup that the previous engine did, but my hope is that by running this oil (VW504/507 approved) and changing every 5k miles, I'm at least delaying the mileage at which I'll need to clean the intake valves. I know the TBN starts low compared to most VW502 oils, but in my research, it seems to retain a respectable number for a while (lower shear). I've not tested this, so who knows, but I trust Motul as a brand and hoping this choice and OCI will go a long way for me.

Originally Posted By: nolesfan
I'm running Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5w30 in my gen 3 ea888 powered GLI (car in my signature). I'm not sure if this engine will have the same intake valve buildup that the previous engine did, but my hope is that by running this oil (VW504/507 approved) and changing every 5k miles, I'm at least delaying the mileage at which I'll need to clean the intake valves. I know the TBN starts low compared to most VW502 oils, but in my research, it seems to retain a respectable number for a while (lower shear). I've not tested this, so who knows, but I trust Motul as a brand and hoping this choice and OCI will go a long way for me.

Consider the cost of 5k changes w/ Motul vs the cost of 10k changes with Castrol or Mobil.

I think you'll find that you're not saving yourself any money, especially since your regime may not mean you avoid a valve cleaning.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Just run Castrol 0W-40.

MAYBE you'll have to pull the intake somewhere up over 100k miles. So what?
Why exactly did you have to pull the intake? I know you like Castrol. Castrol is a great oil. I ran 5w40 and 0w40 Castrol exclusively in my 12 Jetta for the first 100K. The engine still looks like it did when new.

Castrols 5W40 and 0W40 are two different oils. 0W40 is sone of the best Euro if not best Euro oil on the market now.
5W40 I would use only if I must.

Thanks. Forgot about that one. Just need to find it at a decent price.

Ecstuning has it around $8 per liter. That is cheapest I found.
Consider BMW TPT 5W30 that meets LL-04. It is mid-SAPS oil and those TPT oils have really good NOACK.

Lowest SAPS and NOACK that I can think of:

M1 ESP 5w30 = 5.6%
Redline Euro 5w30 & 5w40 = 6% (I think the 5w30 is lower SAPS of the two RL offerings)
Amsoil AEL 5w30 = 7.1%

Thanks all. I like the looks of redline but man the price. Looks like it might be esp or an Amsoil product. Even the Amsoil mid saps is ok. The pennzoil euro lx looks great but you can’t find the stuff.

Amsoil looks solid and frankly I can obtain cheaper than another good option, pennzoil euro 5w40.

Thanks all. I like the looks of redline but man the price. Looks like it might be esp or an Amsoil product. Even the Amsoil mid saps is ok. The pennzoil euro lx looks great but you can’t find the stuff.

Amsoil looks solid and frankly I can obtain cheaper than another good option, pennzoil euro 5w40.

Redline with 6% NOACK is NOT approved oil.
One that is approved has NOACK of 9%.
Which begs two questions:
1. Phillips 66 is "watering down" Redline
2. Redline cannot actually make above average oil that is also approvable by manufacturers.

Amsoil 5W30 that meets VW 504.00/507.00 is good choice.
Again, if you are out of warranty, BMW 5W30 TPT LL-04 has NOACK around 7-8%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back