AAP very proud of Purolator (red cans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing at AAP this afternoon, and, of course, stopped by the oil filters. The standard Purolator red can (5000 mile rated replacement for the Classic) was $6.49! This makes them about as expensive as a Wix/Napa Gold (the same price as the Napa Gold, and only 50 cents cheaper than the Wix!) This was the cheapest non-OEM filter they had on the shelf!
I passed on them.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I'd pass on them at any price.

I pass on them too, that leaves more to go around for someone else to buy.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

They are marked up about 70 percent to start with.

Yep.

AAP prices have become simple ridiculous. They lost me as a customer.

The P1 is $7.99
lol.gif

The Boss is still $12.99

I was hardcore Purolator. The tears didn't even phase me but when I stopped seeing holes and instead perforated vents in the steel center tube I switched to Fram. I only use Ultra and TG. But I can usually find them for less than $5.00 each.
My son is using American made E cores I snagged for $1.65 each in case lot. I won't use a E core but He thinks they are Ok. His engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: JustinH

They are marked up about 70 percent to start with.

Yep.

AAP prices have become simple ridiculous. They lost me as a customer.

+1. I have avoided the AAP stores for about 2 years now. They don’t carry anything I want or need. I certainly would not give them $6.50 for a Red can Purolator.

Originally Posted By: gotnogunk
AAP, AutoZone etc, overpriced or give it away why I never go

Works for me. PIcked up 56 quarts of various QS syn/syn blend motor oils for 38c/qt after rebates. I have one more rebate check due...which will bring the average cost down to 11c/quart. Thanks AAP for "giving it away."

The last oil deal + filter package I bought from them...I took the Puralator Classic....only because it's net cost was $1. Otherwise, no way.

Picked up a good deal on rhino ramps last year with an AAP coupon/perks deal...$28 or something net. There are some deals from time to time.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: gotnogunk
AAP, AutoZone etc, overpriced or give it away why I never go

Works for me. PIcked up 56 quarts of various QS syn/syn blend motor oils for 38c/qt after rebates. I have one more rebate check due...which will bring the average cost down to 11c/quart. Thanks AAP for "giving it away."

The last oil deal + filter package I bought from them...I took the Puralator Classic....only because it's net cost was $1. Otherwise, no way.

Picked up a good deal on rhino ramps last year with an AAP coupon/perks deal...$28 or something net. There are some deals from time to time.

thumbsup2.gif
AAP also has the complete Mobil Super line now after recently stocking Mobil Super High Mileage.

Back in 2015, I was traveling for work and was in Texas, California, Oregon, Washington and stopped at several WM's on the way and picked up 15 or so Old classic white purolator filters for $.75 each for my 01 'burban when they were clearing out purolator brand

Keep in mind, This was before i was "Schooled" on BITOG that purolators are junk lol, I still have about 6 of them lol

Dave

I wouldn't waste my time at AAP. I have never been in/out in less than 15 minutes, no matter how busy they were.Over priced, dumb counter people and too many poor quality parts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
I wouldn't waste my time at AAP. I have never been in/out in less than 15 minutes, no matter how busy they were.Over priced, dumb counter people and too many poor quality parts.

Sad but true. They don't pay their help very well around here, and as the saying goes you get what you pay for. They had one or two guys that were OK, they're gone. Now they're grossly understaffed, every time I go it is an adventure. Most of my part buying has been online through various sellers. Oil filters I get in either 3 or 6 packs from eBay now, and oil from Walmart combining it with rebates. When AAP started doing oil change filters with Purolator filters I stopped looking at their specials.

Said it before however apparently bears repeating here, I've found most all the AP chain stores (AZ, AAP, O'R, PB) to be pretty much the same. High regular prices and not so knowledgeable counter folks. Knowing that, I'm rarely if ever disappointed in the experience because I know what to expect before I go to the store.

I approach it like I buy parts online, do all my research beforehand so when I enter the store I know 'exactly' what I want. In the case of AAP, I'd never pay full price for topic filter. Online look up will get me an AAP banner code at the top with a 25% discount which would make it ~$4.90. That's if I used the topic filter which I currently don't. Also ordering online means minimum interaction with store employees, whose advice I don't seek out anyway.

The one possible exception to counter staff is my local Napa store, seem a tad more helpful and knowledgeable, but I still do my research beforehand.

As noted earlier in thread, not too long ago purchased some QSUD 0w20 ~$ 2.15/qt on AAP close out. Great deal and I think some got it for even less. Those that cut off their nose to spite their face by not shopping AAP left more for others to buy.

All that said, this thread has two subjects combined that are bitog trendy to bang on so it's going well. Carry on.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I approach it like I buy parts online, do all my research beforehand so when I enter the store I know 'exactly' what I want. In the case of AAP, I'd never pay full price for topic filter. Online look up will get me an AAP banner code at the top with a 25% discount which would make it ~$4.90. That's if I used the topic filter which I currently don't. Also ordering online means minimum interaction with store employees, whose advice I don't seek out anyway. The one possible exception to counter staff is my local Napa store, seem a tad more helpful and knowledgeable, but I still do my research beforehand.
+1 - you have shared codes here before and I have used them saving quite a bit on hard parts (such as batteries, rotors, and brake pads). Like you, I typically order online, go in and pick them up thereby minimizing my interactions with the store personnel. With that said, I have not had a terrible experience with any of them, but it pays to do your research. I can see where the uninformed could become entangled in bad advice. My local NAPA store also seems to have a "higher grade" of counter personnel and I typically buy my NAPA Gold filters locally, though sometimes eBay has a deal too good to pass up.

AAP is proud of many of their parts. I very rarely go there. I LOL'ed when I went in one day and they had a 5 quart jug of conventional oil for $39.99.

I've never stepped foot in an AAP, I use Carquest if I need something from Worldpac.

I'm mostly Wal-Mart, Amazon or the dealer for filters.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I've never stepped foot in an AAP, I use Carquest if I need something from Worldpac.

I'm mostly Wal-Mart, Amazon or the dealer for filters.

Any Carquest is/will be AAP, AAP bought them out a few years ago. DM at the SF bay area store told me sooner or later they will change the Carquest stores to AAP out in California

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back