Ordered a new 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler 3.6...Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A week ago, I ordered the newly redesigned Jeep Wrangler with a 3.6 liter "updated" Pentastar and a manual transmission.

The owner's guide leaked a few weeks ago and it specifies 0W/20 motor oil. What's the BITOG feeling about the best 0W20 oils these days? If I had to choose right now, I'd look at either PPU 0W20, or Mobil 1 EP 0W20.

Also, I'm assuming this engine will have a cartridge oil filter. On my 08 JK and other vehicles with spin-on filters, I've been happily running Fram Ultra Guard filters, and change them every other OCI. (In the JK, I'm tempted to go 3 6,000 mile OCI's with them.) If it uses a cartridge, what are some good options?]

Any 2016 Grand Cherokee owners out there with this engine? How do you like it? Anything to watch for?

I'll probably do an oil analysis around the 3rd or 4th oil change on this thing, which will be a good while from now. I'm not expecting delivery until sometime in January, and I won't pile the miles on it very quickly, as I'll run the old JK more during winter months.

Any 5w20 or 0w20 will be fine. PUP (if you can find it), PP, M1, Edge, are all good top-tier synthetics. There's certainly nothing wrong with Napa Synthetic/Synpower for factory spec OCI.

There is a Fram Ultra cartridge for the Pentastar. Part number XG11665

0w20 is good stuff...go with amsoil or redline if you want a slightly thicker premium 0w20. Otherwise I think PUP is going to work amazingly in that engine.

M1 AFE 0w-20 is a very solid choice. Has the dexos1 gen 2 license. The EP and AP are also good but overkill since you're under warranty and can't run extended oci. XOM claims 10k for M1 and M1 AFE and M1 HM oils

If you're gonna beat on it I would consider one of the 0w or 5w-30 options

Of course there is always M1 0w-40. A full SAPS high TBN beast oil
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Any specific certifications?

Pentastars have been calling for MS-6395

I would look for something that carries the MS-6395 approval.

Per the manual that was leaked:

"Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 3.6L Engine
Mopar SAE 0W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy."

Nice ride!!! Mobil 1 doesn't meet the MS6395 spec, so if you're concerned about the warranty and you want to run Mobil oil, use super.

I'd love to hear reviews about the 8 speed ZF transmission in it. I was also wondering if they were smart enough to still use a dipstick in the Wranglers like they have been all along, while other vehicles from Chrysler don't have them.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Nice ride!!! Mobil 1 doesn't meet the MS6395 spec, so if you're concerned about the warranty and you want to run Mobil oil, use super.

I'd love to hear reviews about the 8 speed ZF transmission in it. I was also wondering if they were smart enough to still use a dipstick in the Wranglers like they have been all along, while other vehicles from Chrysler don't have them.

Wow, if they didn't have a dipstick on my 3.8, they'd have replaced a siezed engine a long time ago, the way it has used oil.

I'm not overly worried about that Chrysler oil spec. Politics is the only reason M1 doesn't meet it. Before Fiat, M1 met the spec. Shell's sponsorship of Ferrarri has a little something to do with it. That oil won't cause a breakdown, and if it did, I believe Mobil 1 has a warranty, IIRC. Still, I've always liked Pennzoil oils.

I'm ok with overkill, with M1EP or even AP (EP is cheaper, but I'm not sure it is any less of an oil) I may wind up in a hot desert doing some rock crawling, so a high quality oil gives me peace of mind.

Anyway, I think it is down to M1 and Pennzoil. What say BITOG about Valvoline Synpower? It meets the Chrysler spec.

Last edited:
....I looked at Mobil Super Synthetic and it looks pretty good, too, and meets the Chrysler spec. It has a little better pour point and flash point than PUP 0w20, too.

So what's the deal with Mobil Super? Is it a group III base, whereas M1EP and AP are group IV? It looks like a pretty darned good oil, maybe a budget M1? Is it the same as "regular" M1?

I didn't see the transmission comment...I'm sure that 8 speed is nice, but I ordered the manual transmission. It just isn't a Jeep to me without a manual.
cool.gif
The speculation is that the manual is a Tremec unit, and that they are going away from the NSG370, which is fine by me. The speculation is based on the reverse position moving to the upper left instead of the bottom right. We'll see.

I've heard Grand Cherokee owners say this combination of the updated 3.6 and 8 speed works really well. The very first ones could wind up in the hands of customers as soon as mid December. I think those equipped with manuals will take a little longer, as they won't be in the initial production batch.

I saw a red one on the road this weekend. Pretty sharp, but the new grille is an adjustment. Very cool either way.

I am sure the manual allows 5w20 or perhaps 5w30 too.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan

Wow, if they didn't have a dipstick on my 3.8, they'd have replaced a siezed engine a long time ago, the way it has used oil.

I'm not overly worried about that Chrysler oil spec. Politics is the only reason M1 doesn't meet it. Before Fiat, M1 met the spec. Shell's sponsorship of Ferrarri has a little something to do with it. That oil won't cause a breakdown, and if it did, I believe Mobil 1 has a warranty, IIRC. Still, I've always liked Pennzoil oils.

I'm ok with overkill, with M1EP or even AP (EP is cheaper, but I'm not sure it is any less of an oil) I may wind up in a hot desert doing some rock crawling, so a high quality oil gives me peace of mind.

Anyway, I think it is down to M1 and Pennzoil. What say BITOG about Valvoline Synpower? It meets the Chrysler spec.

The dipstick I was referring to was for the automatic transmission, sorry for any confusion.

With regard to the oil, I'd use Pennzoil, but that's just me. Either way when you get it drive it in good health, and post a review!

Too late to edit. They went with a different and supposed to be a better manual transmission in the 2018s. Reverse is where it belongs lol, up and to the left.

I would stick with penzoil pup or pp while under warranty. In my 15 wrangler I am using 5-30 redline. Far as I know you have limited selection with the canister filters. I have been using Mopar filters. I change them out every 4000 miles, easy to do with canister filters. Running 8000 mile oci.

I have two 3.6 pentastars. One has 52,000 miles (the Journey) and the other (Durango) has 84,000. The oils I've used, in no particular order, are; QSGB, QSUD, PYB, PUP, Trop-Artic, NAPA Syn, Val SynP, VWB, Havoline HiMi, and Havoline ProDS. As long ans you use a respectable oil with a respectable change interval, these engines really don't care what oil is in them. I usually run dino oil to 5-6k and syn blends to 7.5k with a NAPA Gold filter. Zero issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back