OVERFILLED...again... by dealership. Leave it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the first time they did it on my 2013 Camry 2AR-FE it was over by about a quart, yes... a full 32 oz. I caught
It when I got home from oil change and did the ol "park 10min and check" procedure. So in the dead of winter I drained the extra. That was 2013. I try to have at least an oil change done every other so it is in my service records.

Fast forward to 2017. Over filled again. They were on their game after the first snafu for a while but apear to be cutting corners on drain time or something... again. So this time she is just over a quarter inch overfilled. Which I think with the 1.5Q between both dots means about 10-12maybe ounces overfilled.

Do I need to suck a little out? Again, out in the cold garage. [censored]!

Now for the guy who posts, "Are complaining about getting extra oil free?" My reply is... "I paid for a proper level and actually it lists 5Q (as in "up to 5") as their generic charge for the itemized invoice. So the oil is not extra or free". I just wated the right amount.

So back to the question... did the build in enough tolerance for such an overfill?

Just another one of many reasons to stay away from repair shops of any kind, or if you have no choice check the work before leaving. Better yet, tell the tech doing the work, in a nice way before he starts, to please do the job right and not overfill it. Then hope for the best, and check before you leave.

You're right, normally. But Toyota is different (at least on our Sienna, which is 1.5 qts between dots).

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Hmm. Wondering if 10-12 oz makes a windage or crankcase pressure difference.

I seriously doubt it. However, that doesn’t change the fact that the job was NOT done properly.

If the oil level isn’t even right, what else was done improperly? Check your tire pressure and fluid levels.

Last edited:
Just overfilled my sienna about the same amount. I am not worried one bit. Calls for 5 qt's and I put in some ceratec but didn't feel like keeping around a little bit of oil.

Well....obligatory weekend knock the dealers thread.....

Sometimes I wonder if some on here can read a dipstick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

I didnt see anyone knocking a dealer.

Dealer or not, the job wasn’t done properly. What else can we say?

Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
Originally Posted By: CKN

I didnt see anyone knocking a dealer.

Dealer or not, the job wasn’t done properly. What else can we say?

I can read several different levels on my dipstick-depending on operating temperature-and depending where I park my vehicle. What I am saying is there is PLENTY OF ROOM for misinterpretation.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
There is some tolerance built in and 1/4 inch over is not significant enough to worry about, IMO.

This is correct, there shouldn't be any effect of engine life or performance.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
This is why you DIY oil changes its gets done right.

Agreed. Makes me wonder why people are still taking their cars to a dealer for oil changes.

If this hasn't been done yet, read the manual for specific instructions on checking the oil. I say this because our Dodge van is to be checked hot, after 5 minutes with the engine off, on a flat surface.

Our new Cadillac wants you to check the oil *cold*, like overnight cold, on a level surface.

They are exactly polar opposites and the reading on the dipstick would fluctuate considerably depending on the method used.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
This is why you DIY oil changes its gets done right.

Agreed. Makes me wonder why people are still taking their cars to a dealer for oil changes.

Because the dealer charges $33.00 for a conventional oil change-and I have never had any issues.

OH-and I'm not crawling underneath my car for the $33.00.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back