Code p0401, 98 lesabre,broken map sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again all! Well,finished installing new plenum on the engibe,no leaks. Performance kit,came with new pcv valve,it's housing,spring. It was a pita too get on! The reason...didn't come with a new orange o ring gasket,and thie r was a smaller one,in the pcv valve. I used the old gaskets. The housing didn't wanna close unless the large o ring was out. Use a ratchet, and a sicket, and pressed hard,and turned. I'm assuming,I want supposed too have a o ring gasket thier,correct?
Well,upon starting car no codes. Looked like steam coming out of tailpipe as it warned up the map sensor,sits on top the pcv valve, had come off,in 2 pieces. I put them back together,and installed.the bottom half,was just plastic,and a Tiny Hole In It. So Get A Code...p0401. Something Airflow Inefficient. Did Some GOogling,and the Map SEnsor Comes Up. Could I Just Krazy GLue THe halves OF sensor BAck TOgether? Or Replace IT? When I Took IT out,it already felt FLimsy.

Last edited:
Are you feeling OK? Is your keyboard feeling OK?
crackmeup2.gif

I guess you can glue it, clear the codes, and see what happens if you want. I wouldn't if it was the car that I rely on to get to work.
21.gif

I had a MAP sensor come apart on a '98 LeSabre earlier this year and wound up replacing it a few months later after it started throwing a code.

The computer takes data from, among other things, the MAP sensor to control how hard the transmission shifts, so a tired or broken MAP sensor isn't going to do your transmission any favors.

MAP, not a MAF, though this car uses both.

If you busted it, replace it. Should be cheap enough.

It might drive better with it unplugged than plugged in and faulty, until such time as you can replace it.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
The computer takes data from, among other things, the MAP sensor to control how hard the transmission shifts, so a tired or broken MAP sensor isn't going to do your transmission any favors.

It's the only way for the computer to know the car is under load. Without the MAP sensor working correctly, the car will not accelerate and will not downshift. You can push the throttle all the way to the floor and nothing will happen. That was my experience with my Buick 3800.

Made a mistake! It's p 0108!vel came back on,and this time, I brought code scanner with me. Map or maf,high outout,somethinganother.
Is that due too the map sensor?or something else? Again!it's code p0108

Made a mistake! It's p 0108!vel came back on,and this time, I brought code scanner with me. Map or maf,high outout,somethinganother.
Is that due too the map sensor?or something else? Again!it's code p0108

If you broke your MAP your computer might use it to self-check the MAF. You know what you broke, don't bark up the wrong tree.

ziggy - You can push down hard on that PCV housing cover by using a 16mm socket attached to a 3/8 drive spin handle. Push down, turn, and lock.

SGF50BR.jpg

44653d1501301668-oil-filler-suction-95l36pcv.jpg

Got a new sensor,advance auto,works fine. Did the upper pkenum,gasket,no leaks.torqued those bolts down real good.but..the p0420 code popped back on. Got 2 new a.c. Delco 92 sensors. Gonna install tomorrow.bubba try carb cleaner in 92 hole,distilled water via throttle body,and laque r thinner,a gallon too half a tank .

That housing,for the pc v valve was a pita! Used an extension,ratchet and socket too hold it down HARd on the street,turned it making sure both sides locked.it had a habit of one side locking took me more than 25 minutes.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
That housing,for the pc v valve was a pita! Used an extension,ratchet and socket too hold it down HARd on the street,turned it making sure both sides locked.it had a habit of one side locking took me more than 25 minutes.

You have to get the downward pressure centered; that's why a spin handle works better because you can't get the pressure centered with a ratchet. I think I might even use both hands on the spin handle because the spring is so strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back