a 3rd millennium problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear group. I have all the stuff to do my first oil change on my Camry, except a new drain plug washer. Should I run out to the local AZ and buy some? If this was any one of my previous vehicles I wouldn't even consider a new washer. But they were all from the last millennium. I welcome your discussion
grin2.gif

What type is it? The copper mash rings I used to get were one-time use (hollow/folded perimeter), however the aluminum ones that dealers seem to be giving out these days are solid and I use them at least twice before they become uncomfortably deformed. Been doing this for the last 4 oil changes with no issue so far - that doesn't make it right though.

EDIT - just read it's the first OC, so without knowing what type they used, I would have a spare handy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: unclescotty
The one on my drain plug is.....5 or 6 years old....never leaks a drop.

just sayin.

200k miles and no leaks...

Those aluminum drain plug gaskets can be reused but will eventually work harden and will finally leak. I purchased a box of 12mm gaskets and replace them every oil change.

I buy them for $1 each off Amazon. Either order some or reuse the one you have. Just don't over tighten the plug and break the washer.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: unclescotty
The one on my drain plug is.....5 or 6 years old....never leaks a drop.

just sayin.

200k miles and no leaks...

The one on my Corolla started just weeping at 100K. Replaced it good for another 100K would be my guess.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
You can get 10 of em from online for cheap. Id get the OEM ones. Replace every oil change.

I got about 50 fiber washers on ebay for a few bucks. Love 'em. Wouldn't pay a buck each though.
wink.gif

A pal gave me cloth backed, sintered brass and man-made diamond abrasive belting. It was used by machinists who trued HUGE shafts in a factory.

I use the stuff to flatten aluminum or copper drain plug gasket washers.

Never had a leak.

I LOVE the way aluminum feels as it yields. Just did one today.

I've been driving Toyotas for 15 years and have never replaced a drain plug gasket. Maybe because I've never overtightened the drain plug? What would cause one to fail?

I'll pick one up just to have. Hopefully, it will end up on a nail in the shop. The oil on the stick is up and very clean looking, smells OK too. I prefer a solid copper washer. When it gets rough looking, you flatten it with a hammer and heat it up with a torch and let it cool. KISS

The original drain-plug washers were never replaced on the three earliest cars in my signature. (Steel ones on the Chevrolet and Subaru, aluminum on the Mazda) None ever leaked, although the aluminum one did become thinner. I bought spares for the plastic-coated aluminum Toyota one, in case the last dealer-installed one fails, but so far (now on its 4th oil change) it seems as good as new. It should last a long time, if not abused.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Old one and a little Black RTV
smile.gif

I hope he is joking. Don't do this.

I replaced the oil drain plug washer on my granddaughter's new to her 2009 Corolla with 110K. As I was trying to remove the old washer, it broke into pieces. I best guess it that it was the original washer but it was not leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back