Escape battery replacement location

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is 4 years old now and has the OEM battery. Now the location of the battery is stupid.
Not as bad as some FCA cars where it is in the wheel well but still.
I watched the video on how to do this. I almost want to take it in. LOL.

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2014_Ford_Escape_SE_1.6L_4_Cyl._Turbo/battery/replace_battery

I called Batteries Plus and they don't do the install due to the location. I imagine AAP is the same.
I did read the manual and saw nothing about a battery life monitor on this vehicle.

Terrible location for sure. One of the sales people told a customer that my parts department would install a battery as a "courtesy" to a customer instead of having service do it. Never again, all of those get sent to service now no matter what is promised to a customer. I would rather put batteries in NA Miatas all day than do one of those Escapes.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Terrible location for sure. One of the sales people told a customer that my parts department would install a battery as a "courtesy" to a customer instead of having service do it. Never again, all of those get sent to service now no matter what is promised to a customer. I would rather put batteries in NA Miatas all day than do one of those Escapes.

I am so tempted to take it to Ford. they do these a lot versus where it would take me all day to do this.

How do you hook up jumper cables? Why can't they make cars easier to work on? It's not like any of these cars are good looking.

I do them every so often - The worst part is having to disassemble the cowling cover. I forgo this and use a lilse brand battery handle (see here) to yank it out. There's no avoiding having to remove the air intake to do these. Disconnect the vehicle side of the negative cable before pulling the battery out to make things much easier. I get them knocked out in 20 minutes. The first one I did took me a little longer. I do charge extra labor to do these installs. I won't touch chryslers with the battery in the wheel well.

The hardest parts are getting a grip on the battery (why I use the "claw" tool), reattaching the cables, and figuring out the stupid front plate and how it comes out/goes back in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JamesBond
How do you hook up jumper cables? Why can't they make cars easier to work on? It's not like any of these cars are good looking.

Great question. I need top reread on what the manual said.

From AAP,
OE Spec: OE Group 96R; OE CCA 500; Battery Spec: 590 CCA; Battery Spec: Maximum Starting Power in any Climate, PowerFrame Grid Technology
REQUIRES PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION; Installation may take up to 45 minutes. Battery located under hood, under cowling.; OE Exact Fit; OE Spec: OE Group 96R; OE CCA 500; Battery Spec: 590 CCA

Cars that have the battery in an obscure place have a positive post somewhere out in the open to hook up jumper cables or a charger. Usually it is red and has a big plus sign on it.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond

The positive jumpstart lug/ is on top of the battery under a flip up cover, IIRC - don't worry it's accessible. the negative point is anywhere you can get a good ground - usually the bolt where the ground cable coming out of the battery compartment attaches to the frame/firewall. You won't find any specific instructions in the manual... I've looked.

Last edited:
You do realize you're talking about a company that thinks its acceptable to have to lift a motor and trans to change on oil pan, right? or completely pull an intake just to get to some sparkplugs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HorseThief
You do realize you're talking about a company that thinks its acceptable to have to lift a motor and trans to change on oil pan, right? or completely pull an intake just to get to some sparkplugs.

If you've got a few hours to spare (at least the first time you do it), replace the alternator on an early V6 Escape. It's not fun.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: HorseThief

If you've got a few hours to spare (at least the first time you do it), replace the alternator on an early V6 Escape. It's not fun.

Oh, those aren't so bad! Pull the right axle and the splash shield, pull the intermediate shaft, it pops right out.

I'd rather do those than the idiotic Focus with the alternator on the rear, especially the 2.3L engine.

You have to remove the fender to service the battery on the Solstice. Most new Chevrolets require bumper removal to replace a headlight bulb. The Silverado's battery is under the PCM. Chrysler frequently puts the PCM just inside the front fascia, which is great when you have a minor accident.

I can go on and on. Only Japanese cars are designed for ease of service.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Only Japanese cars are designed for ease of service.

Ahem. 2013 MY Subaru Outback - pull the inner fender lining/wheel well to replace a headlight bulb.

I'm old enough to remember the V8 Monzas and Sunbirds of the late 70s. Fun to change the plugs, not.

Originally Posted By: Variant_S

Ahem. 2013 MY Subaru Outback - pull the inner fender lining/wheel well to replace a headlight bulb.

I'm old enough to remember the V8 Monzas and Sunbirds of the late 70s. Fun to change the plugs, not.

I just replaced all 4 headlight bulbs on a 2013 outback without removing anything.. just the caps.

Did you mean blinker or corner light bulb?

Now a 2008 pontiac g6 where you have to pull 16 bumper pushpins
pull out the whole headlight assembly and try to realign it afterwards.. that is a PITA.

All my subaru's (5) took literally 5-10min as long as you dont have ham sized fists.

Yeah and Subarus are some of the only passenger vehicles where you have a chance of encountering a spin-on trans filter. Japanese automakers haven't abandoned the trans drain plug like the Americans.

Then you've got the Europeans where some of the factory scan tools are over $20k.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Variant_S

I just replaced all 4 headlight bulbs on a 2013 outback without removing anything.. just the caps.

Did you mean blinker or corner light bulb?

Now a 2008 pontiac g6 where you have to pull 16 bumper pushpins
pull out the whole headlight assembly and try to realign it afterwards.. that is a PITA.

All my subaru's (5) took literally 5-10min as long as you dont have ham sized fists.

No, I am referring to the headlights. The owner's manual says to peel back the inner fender liners (yeah, I guess you don't have to remove the fender liner entirely) to get to the bulbs. I haven't had to replace any of them, yet.

Just as bad as my Dodge Journey in the Wheel Well. Put an Odyssey extreme in there and forget about it until you junk the car!

Yowtch I was gonna rag on Transit Connects for their lousy battery placement. But they sound better than average.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back