2018 Camry I4 XSE 0W-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I recently purchased a 4-cylinder (a25a-fks) 18' Camry specing 0W-16 oil. Being that this is the first 0w-16 spec'd car in the US (at least that I am aware of), I figured a discussion was in order. The manual states that 0W-20 can be used but must be changed back to 0W-16 at next oil change.

I know I am overthinking it, but that is kind of why we belong to BITOG. I changed my factory fill oil at 1000 miles... looked perfectly fine with no metal flakes etc. I've seen before in a factory fill. I also cut open the stock filter... ridiculously clean. I am now convinced that an early drain is not needed.

I refilled it with TMGO 0W-16 from the dealer (about $7/QT) and a stock Toyota filter. I have researched as much as I can and just can't get over a 16 grade oil. Again I know I am overthinking, but I just keep wondering about such a light oil at prolonged highway speeds temperature and therefore viscosity-wise. I also am concerned about a 20 grade or 30 grade leading to increased bearing/piston/valvetrain temperatures due to lower flow or tighter tolerances at non-highway engine speeds.

Can engines really be built that have such tolerances and oil pathways that a 30 grade oil will be restricted in flow? If so, are these engines what we are now seeing? Is this just a ploy by Toyota to capture market share on oil until/if the big oil companies start mass producing 0W-16?

Any other thoughts, research, or recommendations?

interesting way to cut a filter open :czy:

AAP is starting to carry CQ Synthetic 0w16, made by Amalie/Wolf's Head. About $25 for 5 quarts and a "filter" (but you can always get a real filter at Napa or O'R)

I that one of those Made in Japan filters you can;t buy outside the factory?

Originally Posted By: Delta
Well I'll be; they went back to a regular oil filter for this 4 cylinder.

Yeah, 4967 FRAM variant FYI
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
interesting way to cut a filter open :czy:

AAP is starting to carry CQ Synthetic 0w16, made by Amalie/Wolf's Head. About $25 for 5 quarts and a "filter" (but you can always get a real filter at Napa or O'R)

I that one of those Made in Japan filters you can;t buy outside the factory?

Yeah, It was late at night. Flat head screw driver and hammer to make a slit, then tin shears to cut an opening. It works.

This was the factory filter, but the replacement looked identical with the same part number.

What does the engine spec in other countries, and 6 months from now, someone will have already run a thicker oil with no problems.
Valvoline Instant OMG has (seriously!) already put in an 0w20 or 5w20 somewhere.
Even your statement gives you a way out. The manufacturer support 0w20 if 16 is n't available. It isn't in so many places.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Delta
Well I'll be; they went back to a regular oil filter for this 4 cylinder.

I hear that! Seems weird to take a step backwards.

The cartridge filter element was huge in comparison to that thimble sized spin-on as well.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
What does the engine spec in other countries, and 6 months from now, someone will have already run a thicker oil with no problems.
Valvoline Instant OMG has (seriously!) already put in an 0w20 or 5w20 somewhere.
Even your statement gives you a way out. The manufacturer support 0w20 if 16 is n't available. It isn't in so many places.....

I've been looking for a international spec chart but cannot find one. Would feel much better if I could see one.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Is the OP our first BITOG 0w-16 user?

Oh dear God... Please no.

Progress never stops. There were similar fears with 0W-20 and it's common now for fleet engines to go past 500k mile mark on it. Congrats on the new car and trusting the engineers of your engine.

Last edited:
I really dislike the canister filters on 2 of our Camrys. They are messy but that won't stop me from a DIY oil change. I hope your Camry is satisfying and reliable!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Good to see a spin on oil filter instead of silly cartridge filter.

Cartridge filters arent silly at all if implemented correctly. More like Toyota engineers were being silly with their designs...

OP, great pictures, super clean filter media. Glad you created your own evidence to justify not doing short OCIs. Looks like that engine and oil is a winner!

I'd wish you took pictures of that essay written on the side of the filter before you cut the thing open. An SST to install the filter...seriously?

0W16 has been used in JDM small engines and hybrids in Japan for over 10 years and Toyota has introduced this oil to the USDM market for the 2018 Camry.

But most BITOGers will tell you to run this instead:

penrite_enduro_latest.jpg

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Is the OP our first BITOG 0w-16 user?

Possibly, a pioneer of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back