MK6 GTI oil separator "PCV" valve went bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife was driving home from the grocery store yesterday when the check engine light came on. The engine idle was jumping around erratically. I quickly diagnosed the oil separator was bad. It's the original that lasted 112K miles. The rubber diaphragm was torn. I rushed off to the nearby VW dealer with 20 minutes to spare before the parts dept closed. It took 20 minutes to install the new one. This makes the 3rd issue I've had with my VW which I bought new.

Very common on those cars, Im surprised it lasted that long, I had one this week on a Q5 with only 59k. I think you can only order the diaphragm online now, but I usually do the whole separator as well.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My wife was driving home from the grocery store yesterday when the check engine light came on. The engine idle was jumping around erratically. I quickly diagnosed the oil separator was bad. It's the original that lasted 112K miles. The rubber diaphragm was torn. I rushed off to the nearby VW dealer with 20 minutes to spare before the parts dept closed. It took 20 minutes to install the new one. This makes the 3rd issue I've had with my VW which I bought new.

Though I have fewer miles on my GTI than you do, I am trying to be prepared. Did the failed oil separator throw a code? What were the other two issues that you mentioned in your post?
Thanks

The oil separator was hissing air and I got a misfire code for every cylinder.
if someone ignores replacing a bad oil separator on this engine, there is a good chance you'll blow the rear main seal.
DO NOT DRIVE your car if this happens! You can buy VW parts cheaper at ECS tuning, AutohausAZ, Deutsche Auto Parts

I own a stick and the dual-mass flywheel went out around 50K. I didn't bother with the warranty as I wanted a bulletproof replacment
in case I decided to mod my car.

The intake manifold secondaries quit opening at high RPM. A new intake is reasonably priced. I also cleaned the intake valves while I was at it which
is another issue the older TSI engines have.

I replaced my ignition coils at 100K, even through I never had a failed coil on my car.

I still like my car and am satisfied with it regardless of the issues I've had. I'm still peeved off about the hit & run accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back