Do you change air filter by looks or miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miles.

To change by looks, you have to open up the airbox, and on many cars also remove the air filter. Every time you do that, you take the risk of nasty stuff getting past the filter.

If the filter is a little dirtier than normal, the risk is if it gets severe enough i'll have a loss of power. No risk to engine damage, as a dirty filter traps even smaller stuff. If I take it out at the designated mileage and it isn't quite as dirty, it's OK. I've already opened the box, so put a new one in. Stay on schedule so I know when to do it again.

It is my belief that my engine is much better off if I leave the filter alone as much as possible. A filter minder would be the best option, but I've never used one. I see the value in a filter minder on a big rig where filters can be very expensive. But when I can buy an air filter during NAPA farm days for about $8, it's easy to change them on a regular schedule.

When the air filter restriction gauge goes into the red:

TRD_AirFilter_22DEC16_zpshlqibz3q.jpg

Easy peasy
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Miles.

To change by looks, you have to open up the airbox, and on many cars also remove the air filter. Every time you do that, you take the risk of nasty stuff getting past the filter.

If the filter is a little dirtier than normal, the risk is if it gets severe enough i'll have a loss of power. No risk to engine damage, as a dirty filter traps even smaller stuff. If I take it out at the designated mileage and it isn't quite as dirty, it's OK. I've already opened the box, so put a new one in. Stay on schedule so I know when to do it again.

It is my belief that my engine is much better off if I leave the filter alone as much as possible. A filter minder would be the best option, but I've never used one. I see the value in a filter minder on a big rig where filters can be very expensive. But when I can buy an air filter during NAPA farm days for about $8, it's easy to change them on a regular schedule.
This.^^^^. Actually both . I know about how many miles I can go till the filter's outside pleats get dirty so I don't check and replace the filter till that mileage. 20,000 for me. Every time the filter is checked there is a possibility dirt can get into the intake.

I change mine right after my annual texas inspection.

That way I get it done once a year.

Put in my rockauto or amazon order, and do the engine air filter, cabin filter and wipers at the same time regardless if they need to be done or not.

$20 in annual maintenance is a no brainer for me.

2 years or 50,000 miles - whichever comes first (usually pretty close to each other)

On bigger & more expensive filters, I clean them following the manufacturers instructions.

Almost all filters can be cleaned, but auto & light truck filters don't come with instructions anymore.

Miles. I used to follow factory specs like a religion. But I generally find that every 30k seems to be perfectly fine.

Optimally, this item should be a durable unit instead of a disposable one. That's a subject for another thread.

Definitely not by miles.

No service recommendation knows how dusty your operating environment is. A hundred miles of following trucks on dusty roads is worse than 50K miles of suburban driving.

usually annually when I do my fall-winter underhood squirrel nut check. Ever have a filter housing full of acorns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back