Removing Rain-X - the final word?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

First off, I'm not looking for a debate on whether or not Rain-X is worth the trouble. It is on a car I bought, and I want it off. I've done a fair bit of searching online and have tried a lot of stuff.. windex, foaming glass cleaner, lighter fluid, sulphomic acid (for cleaning coffee makers), etc. None of this has had any effect.

Here's something I dug up searching for "rain-X patent"

CLAIMSWe claim:1. A water repellent glass treatment for automotive applications comprising a quaternary compound concentrate in solution with a solvent dispersible in water, alcohols, and water- alcohol mixtures imparting a good degree of hydrophobicity to a windshield surface.2. The water repellent glass treatment of claim 1, wherein said quaternary compound is selected from the group consisting of silicon based quaternary ammonium compounds, siloxane based quaternary ammonium compounds, fatty quaternary ammonium compounds, and mixtures thereof .

How would one go about removing a silicon/siloxane based quarternary ammonium compound, without damaging the underlying glass?

I considered having it polished off but have zero experience with a polisher and want to see if I can do this at home.

Thanks for any insight

I once decided to remove RainX -- and I contacted the mfr. Now this was some 30 or 35 years ago, I'm afraid, and the chemical formulation of RainX may have changed. In any case, at the time, I was told to use the cleanser "Bon Ami" which I believe is still available in US grocery stores (not in Canada, for many years). Well, it did work, and I can't recall any damage that resulted to the windshield ('78 Chev BelAir).

Mebe try with that product?

Cheers from Vancouver.

I bet a strong, polar, organic solvent like acetone would take it off. It won’t harm the glass but keep it off of the paint! If Bon Ami would work that would be a safe product to use its just a gentle abrasive powder mixed with a soap or detergent.

There was a thread the other day that showed how the stuff works.

It's a chemical reaction as opposed to a coating.

Originally Posted By: Cdn17Sport6MT
I once decided to remove RainX -- and I contacted the mfr. Now this was some 30 or 35 years ago, I'm afraid, and the chemical formulation of RainX may have changed. In any case, at the time, I was told to use the cleanser "Bon Ami" which I believe is still available in US grocery stores (not in Canada, for many years). Well, it did work, and I can't recall any damage that resulted to the windshield ('78 Chev BelAir).

Right. Back when it was still a Unelko product/formula, they advised that abrasion was the way to remove it.

Makes sense, given that the need for reapplication is most evident in the swept area covered by the wipers.

Also worth noting that only the old "1886" formula (feldspar/soap) Bon Ami is safe for glass, not the newer version.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
Originally Posted By: Cdn17Sport6MT

Right. Back when it was still a Unelko product/formula, they advised that abrasion was the way to remove it.

Makes sense, given that the need for reapplication is most evident in the swept area covered by the wipers.

Also worth noting that only the old "1886" formula (feldspar/soap) Bon Ami is safe for glass, not the newer version.

I heard barkeeper's friend is the modern approved way to clean glass?

From my experience you might need to replace your wipers as well after you get it off.

Unreal... just when I thought, how can anyone drive in the rain WITHOUT rain-x, this thread comes up.

Can the OP share his reasoning why he wants it off?

Sounds like you could have scrubbed it off already but the glass is so clean, the water will bead up naturally. Hahahaha

Put a strong winter formula washer fluid in your cars washer fluid tank and just run that for a second or two each morning. I've found rain-x does not last long when good washer fluid is used on it.

Any reason you don't like rain-x? I hate it can't hold up to good washer fluid so I rather mine last longer.

I love the stuff, but don't like the wiper chatter it can give. Still use it. Especially on side windows, in Minnesota winters+.

I use BonAmi on the glass before retreating with RainX.

I first wash it and get all organic material off, then spray it again with some cleaner and sprinkle on the BonAmi. Then let it dry and polish it off with a cloth.

Tried Rain X once probably 10 years ago and IMO it made nighttime glare a lot worse, especially when it was raining. Seemed to come off fine with regular dish soap.

There are plenty of threads with plenty of debate about the pros and cons of rainX. I'd prefer to keep this thread on point.. how to remove it.

Yes, the area swept by the wipers will wear off, eventually. But not the rest.

I haven't tried denatured alcohol or acetone yet, will give those a shot.

I guess I was hoping someone with the relevant background could say exactly what is needed to remove he listed compounds.

And yes, I have new wipers waiting to be installed once I get it off my windshield.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I use BonAmi on the glass before retreating with RainX.

I first wash it and get all organic material off, then spray it again with some cleaner and sprinkle on the BonAmi. Then let it dry and polish it off with a cloth.

Do you use regular bon ami or the 1886 stuff?

At work we use a cleaner called DS 1000, made by Dow, for removing silicone on metals and finished surfaces. It's water based, so it probably has some heavy duty emulsifiers in it. It works great, way better than solvents and detergents alone. Not sure if it's industrial only but I'd try searching for silicone/siloxane removal sprays online.if not, maybe Grainger?

Acetone on a rough rag works.

I'm a partner in a boat shop so we've got the stuff by the drum.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back