how to add inline fuel filter late model vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
I'll tell you this, when I opened up the fuel tank of my then 20 year old BMW to replace the fuel pump the interior of the tank was pristine. Not a speck of anything in the well or anywhere. TBH I was surprised, I thought I would find something but I didn't. So that tells me that fuel is pretty clean.

If you do some searching on the net, you'll find quite a few people claiming to have a much different experience.

Originally Posted By: supton
wasn't from dirt, it was from stuff in the gasoline

Exactly, which is why there should be an inline filter.

Of course a dealership is going to recommend a cleaning. The chance to charge you $100 to dump a $5 bottle of cleaner in?

Dumping a bottle of cleaner in the tank is hardly what the dealer is doing. If you talk to the dealer, maybe you can learn exactly what it is they are doing.

And, if what they were doing was a scam... lawyers would be pouncing on them, so somewhere along the line the dealer has scientific proof that injectors need to be cleaned from time to time.

I have my own injector cleaning kit, so I wouldn't need their services but some do.

Last edited:
I didn't make any claim Rockrz. You hacked up my reply which changed the context. My response was that perhaps he was seeing what I saw when I opened up my GM 6.0. The tips of the injectors were gummed up with the same stuff that was all over the intake, the back of the throttle body, etc. PCV/egr gunk. And that an inline fuel filter would not fix that. That is all

Originally Posted By: Rockrz
wasn't from dirt, it was from stuff in the gasoline

Exactly, which is why there should be an inline filter.

That kind of stuff (varnish from fuel residue) isn't going to be trapped by a filter, especially if it is happening at the injectors.

Yeah that old Internet thing.

Have you ever opened up a tank and found different? Not some 40-year old vehicle that has been parked under a tree the past 25 years, something in use.

I'll tell you this, when I opened up the fuel tank of my then 20 year old BMW to replace the fuel pump the interior of the tank was pristine. Not a speck of anything in the well or anywhere. TBH I was surprised, I thought I would find something but I didn't. So that tells me that fuel is pretty clean.

If you do some searching on the net, you'll find quite a few people claiming to have a much different experience.

Dumping a bottle of cleaner in the tank is hardly what the dealer is doing. If you talk to the dealer, maybe you can learn exactly what it is they are doing.

And, if what they were doing was a scam... lawyers would be pouncing on them, so somewhere along the line the dealer has scientific proof that injectors need to be cleaned from time to time.

Beats me, I've never used the dealer for services like this. As for lawyers pouncing on a scam that dealers do... quick, tell me another one!
lol.gif

I'm not denying that injectors can need cleaning at high miles. I just don't think it's from dirt. Could be from varnish. Or from sub-micron particles that would get past a filter anyhow. Without a report from Bosch or some other maker, examining what crud builds up in there, in the first place, then we're all just surmising at what does make injectors dirty.

Ah geez, of course you're the one who resurrected this thread. Nice catch, bdcardinal.

If you search the net you can find all kinds of wackjobs and theories. Doesn't mean I'm going to believe them.

I'll file adding an additional fuel filter on a new car as one of the crazy ones.

Maybe several small engine fuel filters between each injector on the fuel rail to catch more large chunks of dirt... prevent cross contamination.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
Maybe several small engine fuel filters between each injector on the fuel rail to catch more large chunks of dirt... prevent cross contamination.

The little lawn mower ones would be the perfect size.

Just make sure they are rated for the pressure first.

I'm not the one claiming having an extra inline filter is of no value... I'm telling the doubters that they need to do some real world testing and they will find that their inline filter is in fact catching trash, because that's what filters do.

Throw one on yo ridez for a while and then cut it open and see if they be any trash up in there. You will find that the inline filter is catching trash that apparently some believe is OK to send on to the rest of the fuel system.

If you start searching the net, you will find that people are in fact having injector issues caused by trash in their fuel system that apparently is not being caught by the filter on the fuel pump.

I have tested Primary & Secondary fuel filters on my diesel, My Secondary Fuel Filter picks-up NOTHING that can be seen by eye, Diesel fuel is generally dirtier than Gasoline.

The only reason I run Primary & Secondary Filters is because my HPCR Injectors cost $300 a PIECE! They will not handle dirt/contamination/trash of any kind, Where a Gasoline Port Injector will handle more than you think & still function. I haven't had Gas Injector issues in over 20 years & I don't run any kind of additive/cleaner in my fuel systems.

The ONLY way a Secondary Filter will help at all is IF it filters down to smaller Microns than your Primary Filter, To accomplish this you need to know what the Primary Filters Absolute Efficiency Micron Rating is before selecting a Secondary Filter, Finding reliable information on ratings & finding a BETTER filter may be a challenge??

Pictures of my filters....

Primary....Fleetguard FF5613, 8,000 miles, Mostly towing. My "Air Dog" lift pump returns unused filtered fuel back to the tank, So it has A LOT of diesel pass through it in 8,000 miles. 5um at 98.7%.

Secondary.....Caterpillar 1R-0750, 30,000 miles, 4um at 99%.

After selling a 2004 Savana 6.0 gas engined service van with over half a million miles on it I have a hard time believing that dirty injectors are really that big of a problem.

I cannot recall the last time we ever needed any injector services here, fleet or personal vehicles...

My personal experience is the same. Due to mileage and age alone I've sent out the injectors for the Sienna, the Accord and the BMW, all of which have had acceptable test results before cleaning. None have leaked and all had good spray patterns. I gave up on that exercise when it came to the ECHO.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
After selling a 2004 Savana 6.0 gas engined service van with over half a million miles on it I have a hard time believing that dirty injectors are really that big of a problem.

I cannot recall the last time we ever needed any injector services here, fleet or personal vehicles...

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata

Let an outboard marine engine company build a car engine, and they'll do exactly that.

Wouldn't believe how many filters a Yamaha HPDI has. I've lost count.

Quote:
I'll file adding an additional fuel filter on a new car as one of the crazy ones.

Yeah, and the only reason manufacturers quit putting serviceable fuel filters is to save money during manufacturing and to help people have problems once the vehicle gets high mileage so they have to buy parts or a new vehicle.

Bottom line is vehicle used to come with a serviceable filter and it's suspect as to why manufacturers quit including a filter that can be serviced.

Quote:
I have a hard time believing that dirty injectors are really that big of a problem

And yet... lots of replacement injectors get sold for some odd reason.

Making something to be better than it has to be is not a bad idea and is something done for extreme service since the geek scientist study this stuff and have reason to want to make things better than they have to be.

Adding an inline filter is not something that is going to break the bank or require a bunch of time and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back