Castrol Edge now as clean a PP/PUP in IIIG tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as we discuss things here many of our beliefs about oil performance are not based in reality. This has been pointed out over the years when chemists involved with formulating oils at the big companies have joined us. As such, for comparing products we're still heavily dependent on marketing material that the mfrs put out. Pennzoil used to claim that PUP produced 25% less piston deposits in the IIIG test than M1, 35% less than Synpower and 40% less than Castrol Edge.

They've since dropped the comparison to Castrol Edge which makes me wonder if Edge now performs just as well. The current Edge additive package does look almost identical to the original PU (at least what we can see on a voa). They claim PP is 8% cleaner than M1. Considering Castrol is probably the biggest competitor after M1, I can't imagine they'd drop the comparison if they could still maintain it. I'm still not a fan of Castrol's marketing or over the BP spill, so will probably switch back to PP after M1 EP, but I have some interest in their products again if this is true.

Before:

SOPUSCLEAN.JPG

Current:

2i914yh.png

Last edited:
Looking at their website, I also see this.

“In a world-first stunt staged in the wild, icy landscape of the Yukon in Canada, stunt driver Debbie Evans, and Evans' Jaguar F-TYPE 5.0 Supercharged V8 R AWD - with the strength of Castrol EDGE - compete against a mixed-reality army of military tanks, nuclear submarines, helicopters, missiles, explosions and shattering ice.”

“Watch how Castrol EDGE gives our stunt driver the extra confidence to push herself and her car to the limit in one of the toughest challenges she's ever faced - driving using mixed reality, and in one of the most extreme settings on the planet. “

I guess if I ever need to outrun a nuclear sub, missiles, etc., I’ll be sure to buy Castrol Edge beforehand. Marketing is a combination of loose facts and the circus. They will do anything to sell you something. Any major brand of oil that meets your vehicle specs will do fine.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Any major brand of oil that meets your vehicle specs will do fine.

Your post count indicates you understand that's not what we're about on this site
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro

Your post count indicates you understand that's not what we're about on this site
wink.gif

But some of us might be about "mixed reality".

Can't be sure, because I don't know what its supposed to mean.

This. Anything else is just “whatever helps you sleep at night”.

The same could be applied to oil filters as well.

I think there should have been a question mark at the end of the thread title, as this is just a guess rather than fact based on the OP.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I think there should have been a question mark at the end of the thread title, as this is just a guess rather than fact based on the OP.

Yep. I tried to edit the title and fix the typo but it didn't work.

I don't think it matters. All synthetics are good at keeping engines clean. I don't see how one can be noticeably better than the other over the long run! I plan on using German Castrol next OCI and see what I think. Never used Castrol anything before so I'm experimenting to see which I like better. Love Pennzoil synthetics but I'm bored with the same results, time to test something else!

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Love Pennzoil synthetics but I'm bored with the same results, time to test something else!

That's part of the fun. Sometimes I wonder if I have a few screws loose being this interested in motor oil of all things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back