Any BBQ/Grilling experts? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for experts, for an outdoor charcoal grill. Do you leave charcoal in the grill after you are done and also how do you kill fire?

Also, can moisture cause any issue with charcoal? Don't want to be struggling lighting it up if I have to use grill after 3-4 months gap.

Thanks for all the tips and help.

Kill fire lid on vents closed clean out day or two later not big deal just get ash out. Clean grill grate ever time after use. Get yourself a Weber chimney best investment you will ever make store charcoal in dry place shouldn't have a issue.

I use a Weber kettle and shut all the vents to stop the fire. Whatever coals I have left I just knock the ash off and use next time. However if you're only grilling every 4 months I'd just let them burn out and use new. Mold tends to form more on the grease coated areas. I leave all the vents om my grill open to prevent this.

I do not consider myself an expert, but I have grilled at least 3-4 times per month since retiring from military back in 2013. I have a big 435 sq inch Thermos Charcoal grill and when I cook a couple of slabs of ribs for 4-5 hours I have a lot of ashes. I just close the lid and let it burn out, then save the ashes as my wife mixes it in with soil and compost and puts it on our garden. Only use the plain charcoal not the "match light" type and never use charcoal starter fuel. I use a chimney starter which I made out of an old metal 5 gallon pail Keep unused charcoal in a water tight tote as moisture can and will make it difficult to start. Charcoal does has a tendency to absorb moisture especially if ambient air is humid, so best kept in a water proof container or store it in a large garbage bag.

I have three Weber kettles and one 55 gal smoker, after grilling or smoking i leave the lid open so that coals finish burning out to ash, easy to clean out ashes, this also burns off all the residue on the grates, come back later and run a grate cleaner across the grates, no sticky food left.
cheers3.gif

If youre grilling like you said one time every 3 months why are you saving like 5 lumps of half burned coals, just open up and burn it out.

agree with getting a chimney starter

if the issue is you aren't sure how much fire you need because youre cooking for just a few people, use the weber mini chimney which can get a smaller amount of briquettes going fast that you have coals for a second cook in 10min.

final tip also getting the weber cubes to start your chimney a lot faster than the trad. newspaper or sticks or and papertowel and oil.
it is only like 3.99 for a lot of cubes and you dont have the paper ash if you use the traditional paper.
if you're grilling everyday maybe you graduate past the cubes, but i highly suggest you just spend the $3.99 for 1 box until you get the hang of it (store in a ziplock bag).

Originally Posted By: Wasatch1
I use a Weber kettle and shut all the vents to stop the fire. Whatever coals I have left I just knock the ash off and use next time. However if you're only grilling every 4 months I'd just let them burn out and use new. Mold tends to form more on the grease coated areas. I leave all the vents om my grill open to prevent this.

I do the same to stop the fire and to reuse left over larger coals. Every so often I just dump the fine dust out on the roses.

Ive never seen mold/mildew, but I really only use mine as a base to smoke planked salmon. While I love a charcoal grill, a gas grill just makes most things easier, if the charcoal and heat profile isnt going to do a lot for the flavor.

I always start my charcoal with an electric heater. Works great every time. I have a bag od charcoal that is years old, no issues. I re-use the bigger bricquettes/lumps, no issues. I do always add new in there when lighting though...

Once I have the charcoal started, I always add a handful or two of pre-soaked smoking wood chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back