USPS..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on my way back home from the store and noticed the mailmans truck parked at the neighbors house and she was on the phone, it was 6:00 p.m. Then she left and drove right past my house and a few others.
Does anyone know what time the USPS quit delivering mail? I thought they worked until all the mail was delivered.

No normal/routine mail delivery today. Veterans Day is a holiday for USPS. Assume your neighbor got a special delivery of some kind.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
There was no regular mail delivery today because of Veterans Day.

That's right I forgot about VD. That's funny because I saw another mailman picking up mail at the store. hmmm.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
No normal/routine mail delivery today. Veterans Day is a holiday for USPS. Assume your neighbor got a special delivery of some kind.

True, no normal mail on Veteran's Day - must have been a special package delivery day.

Postmasters usually want you back before the outgoing truck leaves for the day which at the office I worked at was around 5:30pm, but there is no official quitting time. FYI, you only get paid for the evaluated time of the route. So if it takes you 10hrs for a 7hr route, you only get the 7hr. Sucks this time of the year with so many packages but works out in the summer when you finish under your evaluated time, yet still get paid the full amount.

My postman could be seen on the side of the road parked with his feet up taking a 2 hour nap on a daily basis. When he actually was delivering mail, he'd be speeding down the block as fast as possible throwing mail in mailboxes with a 50% address accuracy rate. Yours doesn't sound that bad actually, especially since its Veterans Day.

I'm good friends with our letter carrier and she says no mail or parcels are delivered during official holidays but the new hires will deliver any parcel on a holiday and may work late. They don't get paid overtime or extra for doing this and just want to help with the parcel backlog. Yes Amazon Prime and Express mail do get delivered as usual. I received a Priority Mail Large Flat Rate box last year on Christmas day.

I have noticed that our local USPS is delivering on Sunday. They are not delivering our typical mail but in fact, they are delivering shipping goods. From my understanding according to our local postal manager(at the U.S. Post Office), USPS is now very often used as the final source of delivery(from UPS, FedEx, etc.) to your home or business.

There is a story that I have as to why/how I found out this information...

I had ordered an item online and tracked it(via UPS) all the way to my home, where the tracking said...DELIVERED! However, it never made it to my home.

I contacted UPS and was told that they now use the local USPS for the final delivery. Unfortunately, someone had slapped another label over any valuable delivery information(my address). Therefore, USPS couldn't make the final delivery and didn't know how/who to contact(me) and in turn, sent it back to UPS.

The local USPS postal manager(in discussed) also mentioned to me that they make almost no money for this delivery...Like .68 cents...IDK!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JasonC
Postmasters usually want you back before the outgoing truck leaves for the day which at the office I worked at was around 5:30pm, but there is no official quitting time. FYI, you only get paid for the evaluated time of the route. So if it takes you 10hrs for a 7hr route, you only get the 7hr. Sucks this time of the year with so many packages but works out in the summer when you finish under your evaluated time, yet still get paid the full amount.

I'm pretty sure that is not legal.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I contacted UPS and was told that they now use the local USPS for the final delivery. Unfortunately, someone had slapped another label over any valuable delivery information(my address). Therefore, USPS couldn't make the final delivery and didn't know how/who to contact(me) and in turn, sent it back to UPS.

The local USPS postal manager(in discussed) also mentioned to me that they make almost no money for this delivery...Like .68 cents...IDK!

It's the "last mile" logistics. Same thing with internet, phone, power, roads, sewer...

USPS takes it on the chin. I can get a trinket delivered from China for 80 cents thanks to some treaty that we lost. Fedex SmartPost is another version-- takes two days for an item to make it cross country to the post office 5 miles from me then another week for it to hit my doorstep. I don't think it's really a priority for the USPS and I can't say I blame them.
frown.gif

Years ago, the USPS had a long waiting list of people wanting to become employees. Much like my current, demeaning corporate job, it sounds like USPS has "caught up" with the rest of the world. The end result is that many, many people will care as much about their jobs - most already do - as some of you are witnessing. For the most part, what's the incentive for great performance? They'll just give you more work for no more money or throw you a bone in the form of a raise that isn't commensurate with the extra effort required. This is why we get poor service in many facets of our lives. It's not all about declining work ethic. It's all about corporate greed run amok.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I'm pretty sure that is not legal.

It is quite legal. Part of the contract signed by the Union.

Originally Posted By: shurguywutt
My postman could be seen on the side of the road parked with his feet up taking a 2 hour nap on a daily basis. When he actually was delivering mail, he'd be speeding down the block as fast as possible throwing mail in mailboxes with a 50% address accuracy rate. Yours doesn't sound that bad actually, especially since its Veterans Day.

If the USPS is made aware of this he will lose his job ASAP.

Maybe with video evidence, but postal workers are just a hard to get rid of as most government workers.

Originally Posted By: UberArchetype

Maybe with video evidence, but postal workers are just a hard to get rid of as most government workers.
USPS takes this very seriously. They have their own internal investigators who will investigate these claims. During training we were shown pictures from a carrier who would go home everyday and take a 2 hour nap. The carrier even parked their LLV in the driveway, never tried to hide it. He was promptly fired.

When I lived in NY we had letter carriers that would carry mail door to door with large backpacks.

Since I moved to Texas, I noticed that there are not official letter carriers.

There are contractors not dressed in USPS clothing that drop large amounts of mail into community mailbox setups. I have not seen door to door letter carriers in five years down here.

Also these contractors use their own pickup trucks to dump mail into these community boxes.

The only time a package is brought to my door is when it is too big to fit in the medium size package lock box at my community mail station.

Yes they deliver on sunday, the contractor told me he only does amazon packages on sunday.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
When I lived in NY we had letter carriers that would carry mail door to door with large backpacks.

Since I moved to Texas, I noticed that there are not official letter carriers.

There are contractors not dressed in USPS clothing that drop large amounts of mail into community mailbox setups. I have not seen door to door letter carriers in five years down here.

Also these contractors use their own pickup trucks to dump mail into these community boxes.

The only time a package is brought to my door is when it is too big to fit in the medium size package lock box at my community mail station.

Yes they deliver on sunday, the contractor told me he only does amazon packages on sunday.
It sounds like where you lived you had city carriers. They have to wear the uniform and mainly walk their route. Where you live now sounds like a rural route. Rural carriers usually drive their own vehicle and have no uniform requirement.

Both rural and city carriers are employees of the USPS but they have separate Unions and various rules, etc. Being a rural carrier is the best job in the USPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back