Need Dexron VI recommendations for 10 Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything that says Dexron VI on the bottle. Synthetic if you prefer.
21.gif

I've used Supertech Dex-VI and MaxLife in the Monte. Both performed similarly, for ease of accessibility and price I continue to use MaxLife.

Valvoline, Supertech, or Castrol Dexron VI, will work great. Whichever is one sale. I know Castrol was on sale not long ago at AAP for like 2 for $8.

Any Dexron VI will work fine
smile.gif

Castrol Full Synthetic ATF, PP LV ATF, Smitty's Synthetic ATF, even Walmart's ST ATF is good stuff.

Maxlife is not licensed Dexron VI, but it is still a very good ATF and very popular on here. However, Valvoline does make a licensed Dexron VI.

So just to clarify, if it's Dexron XI will it be a, for lack of a better term, "full synthetic"? I've seen some ACDelco brand Dexron XI with "full synthetic" in the description and some ACDelco Dexron XI w/o full synthetic in the description?

Last edited:
If you start partial changes (pan volume) find one easy to find… Castrol MVS has become difficult to find so have gone to Maxlife in some cases …

I use MaxLife synthetic with great results in my Tahoe. Make sure you do complete fluid transfusion through the ATF cooler line at the radiator. That's easy and correct way to get fresh fluid throughout the system.

I believe ALL Dexron VI are synthetic by nature of the VI spec ...
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Anything that says Dexron VI on the bottle. Synthetic if you prefer.
21.gif

Not all Dex6 is full synthetic...or created equal..found that out the hard way. I switched my trucks from the AC Delco branded stuff after samples continued to show it breaking down and losing viscosity. Switched to Chevron/Halvoline full synthetic Dex6/Multi and now have no problems..good samples at 40,000 mile drains in commercial service.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
Not all Dex6 is full synthetic...or created equal..found that out the hard way. I switched my trucks from the AC Delco branded stuff after samples continued to show it breaking down and losing viscosity. Switched to Chevron/Halvoline full synthetic Dex6/Multi and now have no problems..good samples at 40,000 mile drains in commercial service.

Can you post the analysis that shows the fluid breaking down?

Havoline/Chevron are by far the least marketed and known fluids ever. They are good fluids and hold well.
Dex6 is such a great fluid picking any of the good brands will serve you well. Valvoline, Castrol are readily available and great fluids.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: PiperOne

Can you post the analysis that shows the fluid breaking down?

I'll have to look...I think it was before we started using Polaris and having electronic sample records. Basically the fluid was coming back with low viscosity and oxidation. Not terribly bad..but enough it got flagged. Anecdotally, it did seem to improve shift quality and the oil comes out without showing signs of color change....not scientific obviously lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back