summer and winter set of tires..

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were to pick out a set of winter/snow tires and a set of summer tires, what would they be?

I just took off my summer tires( sumitmoto HRZ) and they are pretty much toast. I should be on my last year for my winter setup(yokohoma winter tires).

Tire size for summers are 245/45/18 and winters are 215/55/17 if that matters at all. Summer is mainly highway cruising, maybe 1 auto-x event and a drag strip event. Its a AWD car.

The thought has cross my mind to just stop buying two sets and get something like conti DWS but i honestly hear they are junk after the intial "they are great post in the first year"

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
The thought has cross my mind to just stop buying two sets and get something like conti DWS but i honestly hear they are junk after the intial "they are great post in the first year"

Not sure about the newer/updated model, but the original DWS was mediocre in all conditions. I would certainly not replace dedicated summer/winter sets with them.

I currently use Conti ExtremeContactSport for summer and General Altimax Arctic for winter.

Hankook Ventus for summer tires since I've had good luck with them. Although it was an all season uhp Ventus. It's a decent tire and price point is pretty good in that size. Can get them on sale with DTD.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/hankook-ventus-v12-evo2-k120/p/19903

For performance winter tires I'd go with Vredstein Wintrac since the size plays into it. Great reviews as well. Plus you won't get awful performance when it's dry and warm out like other more traditional winter tires.

https://simpletire.com/vredestein-215-55r17-8714692297700-tires

i had the blizzak 80 tire for a few seasons now. handlees really well for a snow tire, long as the temps are cool. good winter performance too. will buy again..

the DWS was soft, there is a new DWS06 which is better but is an A/S tire and not a 'summer' tire.
One of the best summer tires available is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They will be in a whole better galaxy than anything else mentioned here, above. The Conties are good, the Hankooks not as much.

If you're in the city, then you would probably be fine with all season tires. The DWS06 are supposed to be better. I just do all seasons on Mercedes. It's a 4matic, but because it has more split between the rear and the front, it can still fishtail even in snow. Just doesn't get stuck that's all. If the weather is really bad, I just don't drive it.

Have you been to this place? Got some tires from them before. They had good mail order prices, not sure how they are locally.

http://www.tiresdirect.net/Default.aspx

Were you happy with the Sumitomos? Would you buy them again? How long did they last? If you liked them, there's certainly nothing wrong with buying them again, as they are the cheapest name-brand max performance summer tire, made in Japan.

For summer tires in the size 245/45-18

Max performance Summer
--Michelin Pilot Super Sport (if you can afford them!)
--Continental ContiSportContact 2/3/5 or SportContact 6
--Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position
--Falken Azenis FK510
--Vredestein Ultrac Vorti
--Yokohama Advan Sport

Grand Touring Summer
--Michelin Primacy HP or Primacy 3
--Hankook Ventus Prime 2 or 3
--Vredestein Ultrac Satin
--Goodyear EfficientGrip or Excellence
--Bridgestone Turanza ER300 or T001

Winter tires in the size 215/55-17

Performance winter tires
--Continental ContiWinterContact or WinterContact TS8**
--Michelin Pilot Alpin or Primacy Alpin
--Hankook icept evo2 W320
--Goodyear Ultragrip 8 or 9 or Performance
--Yokohama W.drive
--Dunlop Winter Sport series
--Nexen Winguard Sport
--Falken Eurowinter HS439 or HS449

Standard studless winter tires
--Dunlop Winter Maxx
--Nokian Hakka R2
--Pirelli Ice Zero FR (make sure it says FR)
--Cooper WM-SA2
--Yokohama IG52c
--Nitto NT90W
--Bridgestone Blizzak WS80

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Seems to me that you need 3 sets of tires.
1 for everydayness/highway use
1 for your autocross/track days
1 for winter

I have a few sets for every vehicle. I could see myself getting a 3rd for my Subaru. One for on road, one set for snow and a set for soft-reading.

And if budget and availability wasn't a concern ... Snow would be studded Hakka7s

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Were you happy with the Sumitomos? Would you buy them again? How long did they last? If you liked them, there's certainly nothing wrong with buying them again, as they are the cheapest name-brand max performance summer tire, made in Japan.

For summer tires in the size 245/45-18

Max performance Summer
--Michelin Pilot Super Sport (if you can afford them!)

Winter tires in the size 215/55-17
Standard studless winter tires
--Yokohama IG52c

Am i happy with my sumitomos, eh.. they got the job done in the 30-40k miles. My first set was Pilot Super sports and i loved them but hated the price and it only lasted me 15-20k. I didn't notice the lost of traction going to a less sticky tire.

I've own Blizzacks before and now i'm on Yoko iceguard IG52c.I like the yoko more.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Seems to me that you need 3 sets of tires.
1 for everydayness/highway use
1 for your autocross/track days
1 for winter

If my budget can do this, i would have easily done it. I just don't do it as much as i used to. One of thought was going with a DWS06 tire and have a middle of road tire and save some $$ for possibly a miata.

I live in the city and work in the burbs. I have to take local highways to work. So for the most part its plowed. Plus side i have AWD, down side its lowered about 2 inch overall (think bmw/audi sport package). But i have the option of working from home when the weather is super bad. So i'm thinking of trying just getting a set of 17's

I've only ran all seasons for my summer set ups and for winter it just depends on what's cheapest. But as of right now I'd probably run Nokian Z line summers and general altimax arctics winter.

I put 15k on Cooper Zeon RS3As on my WRX and they handled snow perfectly fine. It was a UHP all season that is a similar set up like Conti DWS. If i can remember they were at 7/32nds the last winter before the car was wrecked,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back