How much of your driving is commuting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and me drive about 35K each year between us.
We both drive about twenty five miles to work each morning, so about fifty miles a day each.
Figuring in holidays and vacations, about 60% of the miles we do are to and from work.
How many miles do others here do in merely commuting?

I put 21.5k a year on the Sonata as my daily driver, have taken it out of town a couple times too. It's what I usually drive for my 67 mile a day, round trip commute.

The Jeep I've coincidentally owned for exactly a year as of today. I've put 4,300 miles on it this past year. Every couple weeks I drive it to work and I pull my trailer with it sometimes to the dump. But I usually use it for off-road desert driving. I'd like to start taking it out more often if I could get some more time.

So about 26k miles a year is what my cars get. Using a calculator it's 17,500 a year just for work.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Probably 80-85% of my driving is to work.

I would agree with this. I've been commuting between 90-100 miles to work and back, five days a week. Otherwise I make relatively short trips as most of my "toys" are shipped to me
laugh.gif

Quite a bit but I try pretty hard to make errands part of my commute home.

I drive a lot for work, in the busiest year I drove 100,000km (60K miles) in one year. I got an award that year.
lol.gif

I have racked up 1.5 Million Kilometers (937,000 miles) since I got my license.
wink.gif

Last edited:
My commute is about 50 miles a day. At work I put on almost 200 miles in the day. On the weekends I rack up anywhere from 100 to 300 miles. I sure cover some ground in a week.

I have a round-trip daily commute of 110 miles. This is 4 or 5 times per week, depending on whether I work from home for one day that week. Overall, this works out to about 30,000 miles driving per year, roughly 90% of which is commuting miles.

My new job is 80 miles away. So 161 miles round trip. Good thing I don't have to go every day, and can fly there from time to time. Probably make 2 trips per week and stay overnight 2 nights.

My commute is 90.4 miles round trip, 90% highway.

On the weekends if we're on the highway and my wife's driving I'll say "schooch a little left, there's a pothole coming up" or stuff like that.

After the third or fourth time telling her of the upcoming road imperfections to watch out for, I'll be told to "turn on the radio on the way to work instead of memorizing the road" lol.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Quite a bit but I try pretty hard to make errands part of my commute home.

I do this too.
I have a few different routes I can take which allow me to drop off library books and outgoing mail as well as to do a little shopping without adding many miles or much time to the drive.

Present job is 9 miles one way. On the other hand, my GF drives an hour one way back & forth. Reason I say present job, always looking forward to improvement for myself.

Enough of my driving is commuting to expose me to the massive stupidity, misplaced aggression, and inattention to cause me to want to get behind the wheel as little as possible when not essential. It's not really anyone's fault. We've all been conditioned to be idiots when it comes to tasks that require attention and skill. I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but ever since technology trumped natural selection average human physical strength, skill, and smarts (not book smarts) has been on the decline.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
My wife and me drive about 35K each year between us.
We both drive about twenty five miles to work each morning, so about fifty miles a day each.
Figuring in holidays and vacations, about 60% of the miles we do are to and from work.
How many miles do others here do in merely commuting?

Similar situation as you. My commute to work is 29 miles each way, wife's is 25 so together we accumulate over 100 miles a day just to and from work before any errands or other places to go. We don't regret it at all because once we leave the crowded city population and get home to our quiet 10 acre "retreat" it's worth the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back