Replacing Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently looking into getting a new battery for my Honda.
Its starting to have that longer crank in the mornings.
Im pretty stuck on Costco's Interstate battery for $74.99.
Any other suggestions on what battery I should put in the Honda?

How old is the current one and what brand? That's a decent price for a good battery. If you want to step up a notch in quality a little bit you'll be looking at a little over a hundred dollars for one. Like an East Penn/Deka batt from Batteries Plus is prob a tad better imo. It depends if you want the Chevrolet battery or the Buick of batteries.
smile.gif

Chevy Cruze or Buick Verono, which one you want? Same basic car but one costs thousands more.

Deka / East Penn is by far the best battery I have ever purchased
(nearly 60 motorcycle batteries over 40 years).
They have made a customer (me) for life.

I use to own my own business with 7 trucks, I had a relationship with the Interstate distributor. I got a great price from him, so I used Interstate batteries exclusively. They didn't last. I then switched to Walmart, disappointed. I now get 1-2 year old batteries, normally 12-15 months old from a auto towing company for $25 each. I'm very happy.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
I use to own my own business with 7 trucks, I had a relationship with the Interstate distributor. I got a great price from him, so I used Interstate batteries exclusively. They didn't last. I then switched to Walmart, disappointed. I now get 1-2 year old batteries, normally 12-15 months old from a auto towing company for $25 each. I'm very happy.

Well reading Interstate doesn't last now solidifies either my research or experience that all major batteries either suck or are amazing.

Bad experiences: Optima, DieHard Platinum
Bad research: Every other make of battery

Current suggestion: The cheap $50 battery from WalMart. They all suck, so may as well get the cheapest and/or most fitting warranty.

Pretty cool gig to score $25 batteries that are usable!

I really wish this site had a Battery forum! I just went through the battery buying experience then after agonizing over it for a week with slower and slower starts I went with a Bosch AGM from pep boys. I used the 30% off deal they have, lowering the price to be not much more than a top of the line acid/water battery from the local competitors and much lower than other AGM's. Time will tell if I made a good choice, if this lasts as long the one it replaced at 7 years old or my Optima at 6 years and going strong, I will be happy. Anyone have one of these Bosch AGM batteries for a number of years?

Last edited:
I have done a lot of mods to my car and I moved the battery to make room under the hood for something else and I decided to use a #14 DEKA AGM sized for a full dresser Harley. My car is a low compression 4cyl so it takes very little to turn it over. The first one lasted almost 6 years before it got a bit weak. I COULD have continued to use it, no doubt.
This was VERY shocking as I had anticipated 2 years, maybe 3 at most.
DEKA sold me.

Originally Posted By: unclescotty
I have done a lot of mods to my car and I moved the battery to make room under the hood for something else and I decided to use a #14 DEKA AGM sized for a full dresser Harley.

Where did you get that from? Should be a good one!

Originally Posted By: fozzdesy2001
I really wish this site had a Battery forum! I just went through the battery buying experience then after agonizing over it for a week with slower and slower starts I went with a Bosch AGM from pep boys. I used the 30% off deal they have, lowering the price to be not much more than a top of the line acid/water battery from the local competitors and much lower than other AGM's. Time will tell if I made a good choice, if this lasts as long the one it replaced at 7 years old or my Optima at 6 years and going strong, I will be happy. Anyone have one of these Bosch AGM batteries for a number of years?

The Bosch battery I had lasted 3 years. Average lifespan for a battery in Texas.

What size battery? Best option could vary by manufacturer and usage patterns.
Overall the East Penn batteries are underrated on cranking amps and tend to hold up extremely well - IF they're not abused. In a daily driver with regular use they typically will meet or exceed the OEM lifespan when properly spec'd. They're also made in the US, which the other choices are not.

That being said, the WM everstart max batteries will have the longest warranty with 3 free + 2yr prorated. The interstate battery has a 3yr warranty and so will the east penn with whatever label comes on it.

I don't have anything against any brand as long as the price is right and it works for you. My car has a 3yr old everstart battery in it that came with the car and its still working fine. That being said, its rated for 750cca and tests out at 600, so it may be on its way out soon. If you barely drive, the vehicle sits long periods of time, or have any extra drains on the battery then the longest warranty or a no hassle warranty makes sense. I bought my Grandmother's van battery from Sams Club for a reason - they don't ask questions (and it sits in her garage 20+ days a month). Full disclosure, I work for an independent East Penn private label reseller - I DO ask questions. Hypocritical? Maybe...

Last edited:
I plan to repace batteries in both our vehicles with Bosch (Exide) AGM from Pep Boys when they go bad if there's a 25% or 30% off discount like now. The 4 year warranty is the big selling point here for me.

Otherwise I'll replace them with Duracell (East Penn) AGM from Sam's Club with 3 year warranty as a fallback option.

The only battery brand I had poor service with on my past was Champion. I won't buy that brand again personally.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: fozzdesy2001

The Bosch battery I had lasted 3 years. Average lifespan for a battery in Texas.

Was it traditional lead / acid or AGM design?

I got a sweet deal on an 800 CCA Bosch AGM battery from Pepboys for around $130 for my Pilot after core trade in and coupon. Should last at least 5-7 years with proper maintenance.

I float the batteries once a month with a.5 A Centech. I want to see if this will extend battery life. Also, battery guys. I have heard that a lower priced battery in a larger case size will have less (wider spaced) plates. The advantage to this is that there is more room for debris that would normally short a denser battery. Any truth to this? TIA.

Costco has a better warranty ,cost less and better return policy than WM.Costco free replacement is for 42 months ,WM is 36monthe.For the same battery Costco was $17 less.Costco return will give you a new battery with a new 42 month warranty or your money back,WM will not give you your money back and will prorate the new battery based on the remaining months left on the failed battery.

I've had great success with Costco. And their warranty is "no questions asked". I don't know of a seller with a better conventional battery or a better battery policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back