Replaced radiator and now car won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just swapped the radiator on my 2003 Jetta and when I went to test it for leaks I realized the car doesn't start. I just get rapid clicking.

I haven't touched the engine at all, I don't understand this. Currently the bumper and crossbar are removed, but I don't see how that would cause a problem.

Literally the only things I touched were the two radiator hoses and three radiator fan connectors, as well as the parts related to the car body.

I have the battery hooked up to my battery tender but it was working fine 24 hours ago. It has gotten quite cold though. Does it sound like the battery or something else?

Sounds like the battery. Either random or drained itself somehow when you unhooked the fan connectors. Did you remove the positive battery terminal connector when doing the work?

The joys of wrenching
laugh.gif
. Check your connections and charge your battery, I'll bet you are fine.

Last edited:
Since it's an '02 and you're going to be tending the battery anyway I suggest you give all the wires' terminals an inspection, a cleaning and tightening as necessary.

Autumn's a good time to check 'em all. Crossing these T's and dotting these I's is a good thing to do.

Put the battery on a charger while you do this work.

After you get the battery charged up, start taking battery voltage readings. If it keeps dropping below 12.6 volts, you may need to replace it. It's best to take the readings with the battery cables disconnected so that you can rule out any parasitic drains as being the culprit. (eliminate variable)

I'm trying to think what could have happened because I have the same car, but a 1.8. The battery has that cover that goes on over top and clips on, so there is no chance you disturbed anything under there included the fuses that are on top of the battery. There is so much room between the radiator and the front of the engine on the 2.0 cars that I could not see you hitting anything really, even though the starter wiring harness is in that general area. Battery died on my car a few weeks ago and it was so dead the power locks did not even work, and it would just click even after a boost + long drive.

Probably drained the battery. Useful tip from the first time I changed a radiator ever...make sure you fill both the radiator and overflow tank up. I changed it on my lexus and filled up only the overflow tank and then went for on a few mile drive before I realized I was overheating....boiled everything and took me like 2 hours to realize what I did wrong :p

By "crossbar", do you mean the top of the core support? Those can have grounds on them. Either you removed a ground strap or your battery just ran low. No worries
thumbsup2.gif

Hey guys it was the battery I guess sitting for 24+ hours in sub freezing temps discharged it, I am in upstate NY. I threw in a spare and it started right up. I was really surprised that it discharged so quickly though.

Radiator replacement was successful!

Originally Posted By: llmercll
Hey guys it was the battery I guess sitting for 24+ hours in sub freezing temps discharged it, I am in upstate NY. I threw in a spare and it started right up. I was really surprised that it discharged so quickly though.

Radiator replacement was successful!
Did you leave the hood open overnight?

If so, it probably knew and it kept the computer awake all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back