Getting an axle seal out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having an awful time getting a CV axle seal out of my Liberty.

rnt_710624_p04_ang.jpg

I've chipped away most of the inner band of the seal lip, but it's still not budging. Any ideas? I've tried a two ended seal puller and a small ply bar but am weary of damaging something. If I can't figure out out, I'm going to shove a plastic bag in the hole and have it towed.

Last edited:
Use a flat screwdriver to pry around the outside, between the seal's metal flange and the transmission case.

I thought about doing that, I'm worried about nicking the aluminum. I put an arrow on the part I was thinking about trying to pry off.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
You gotta jam a screwdriver where your arrow is. A scratch here wont matter as it seals on the inside.

Agree with the scratch info on this flanged seal. Just don't go gorilla on it.

Check out minute 13:30 + of this video:

If you have the room, and you can find a gasket scraper like this locally, then it'll work much better than a screwdriver. The end is wider and flatter so you are less likely to nick the housing.

2990122.jpg

That video helps a lot. I think I'll give that a shot in the morning.

BTW: Sorry for posting in the wrong section!

Can you stick a drywall screw in then pry it out with a claw hammer?

If you nick the aluminum you can fill it with RTV.

You need to first get the rubber seal and the spring completely out with nose pliers.
Then you need to pull on the seal cage FROM THE INSIDE CENTER HOLE.

Use OTC 6541 Pulling Hook with slide hammer.
51E%2BkPIb2KL._SX463_.jpg

Thanks everyone! Got it out with a gasket scraper.

Do I need to oil around the outside of the seal before putting it in? Or just the inner part before putting the CV axle back in?

Thanks for the help everyone, really. Couldn't have done it without the help. Went with the gasket scraper and that made quick work of it. Didn't mar the diff at all. Here's to hoping the new one doesn't leak! LOL

This just goes to show it's a good idea to have a variety of tools to choose from.

The most obvious tool for the job (the seal puller) did not work in this situation.

I also have a 2 sided seal puller, but honestly it seems a little too small at times. I have a small flat piece of steel that I have placed over the openings so the other tooth doesn't go down the hole and scratch something up. Once a side is out, place it 180* from where it was and repeat.

It stayed clean all of yesterday and most of today, now there's a slight drip from it. Grrr. Anyone wanna wager that it's residual from oiling the seal and CV shaft or did I screw it up? I cleaned it up tonight, going to check it again later. I don't see how I could've messed it up installing it.It seated very well and I don't see how I could've damaged it by putting the CV back in. Anyone have any thoughts?

When I did the front diff on my Trailblazer (driver side CV) I tried a precarious slide hammer and ended up using a set of channel lock pliers and went at it. Easy peasy and no gouging to be found.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I didn't gouge this at at all, so I'm stumped as to how it could leak.

Did you seat the new seal evenly? If the seal is cocked, in the slightest way, it will leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back