Castrol Edge 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

Does anyone knows if Made in Germany 0W40 Castrol Edge is spec'd as dexos1 Gen2 ???
I use it in DI turbo engine 2.5t Skyactiv CX9 and want to know if that particular oil is Dexos1 gen2 certified ?

Originally Posted By: M6ser
Hello all

Does anyone knows if Made in Germany 0W40 Castrol Edge is spec'd as dexos1 Gen2 ???

No. It can't meet dexos1 because, for one, it is not an energy conserving oil. There are no Xw-40 oils on the dexos list.

Does it mean that if I did switched to a 0W30 or 5W30 that is a Dexos1 Gen2 it would provide me with noticeable fuel economy improvements???

Does it mean that if I did switched to a 0W30 or 5W30 that is a Dexos1 Gen2 it would provide me with noticeable fuel economy improvements???

It may provide some minuscule FE improvements. Whether it'll be large enough for you to notice, I have no idea.

But it is dexos 2 in Europe and dexos 2 is spec for all GM gas and light diesels, its a superior spec to dexos 1.

Castrol Edge Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 0W-40 GB2C1214082 Global

Originally Posted By: Trav
But it is dexos 2 in Europe and dexos 2 is spec for all GM gas and light diesels, its a superior spec to dexos 1.

Castrol Edge Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 0W-40 GB2C1214082 Global

Unfortunately, the oil you are referring to is not the same oil that the OP is talking about. The OP is talking about the full SAPS Edge 0w-40 that meets ACEA A3/B4.

The one you are talking about that is available in Europe is low/mid SAPS Edge 0w-40 ACEA C3, which is why it can meet dexos2...
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusio...BPXE-A2PDM3.pdf

It also contains about 2,400 ppm of Calcium. Far too much for dexos1 gen2. I’d choose Mobil 1 EP if I had a car that spec’d for D1G2.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It may provide some minuscule FE improvements. Whether it'll be large enough for you to notice, I have no idea.

Different tires would be a better place to look for FE improvement.

You’re doing it wrong if your looking for FE improvements via engine oil. That should be last resort IMO. Driving habit is where I’d look first and where there’s the most to gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back