An old scam rearing it's head again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still have 1 daughter in HS yet and recently got a letter from this outfit called "college Admission Assistance" I highly suspected a scam, but called them anyway because the letter did not say where it was held at. Turns out they will be bringing this scam to Lincoln Nebraska on 18-19 November at Holiday Inn Express SW. I told the lady that she should be ashamed running a scam like that and she yelled at me and said they were doing nothing illegal. I told her to google the company as there are tons of complaints about "College Admissions assistance and I told her that they use the name of "Right C3 as well and send out the same exact letter only with the RightC3 logo. I told her that I will be sending a copy to the Nebraska Attny General Fraud division. She told me to F off and she hung up. Any way I cant be the only parent of a high school student who has received these scam letters. The letter I attached is one off of the internet from 2011 because my HP printer scanner is not working right now. Anyway a quick google search of either of these "College Admissions Assistance or Right C3 turns up lots and lots of consumer complaints. The basic scam is that they want to charge people 2K for info that is 100% free at any High school. I imagine that they stay in business because what they are doing is not illegal, but not ethical either. IU have been getting these letter for at least a decade now. Sadly many people must fall for these scams or they would not be in business. The reviews in YELP, Google, BBB, Pi**ed Consumer, and many others tell me all I need to know about these shady companies. Note that the letters are exactly alike but they do change adress from NV to Texas.

What they do from what I gather is they host a seminar about helping a HS kid get money and scholarships for college and help with improving the ACT college admission exams. and then they try and hard sell the service which is 2 thousand $$. An informed person will not fall for it, but sadly some do. I wont go to it as I know it is a scam, plus if I did go I am not the type to sit quietly and I would call them out for the scam and likely be removed by security. Bottom line is they charge 2K for information that is FREE from the schools. I guess that the reason they are not shut down is because they are not forcing anyone to buy the program. I just figured I would share on here so people are aware when this scam come to their city. Give em a quick google search and you will see what they are peddling (which is lies and false hope mostly.

Any student that really wants to get into college and has the drive and initiative to succeed, will research all that information themselves which in and of itself is beneficial for understanding how the system works.

When a student graduated from HS they face a real scam, student loans.

The bankers got together with the politicians and the schools and cooked up this scheme. Create a special loan program. The banks and the politicians get their cut, the schools raise their prices and create a bunch of extra simple do nothing approved classes. Everyone can get a loan to attend somewhere and there are classes that guarantee the student will be around long enough to run up a colossal debt. The three of them pocket the immense profits and guess who gets the bill? And if it's never paid they've got that covered, too. You and I pick up the guaranteed shortfall. What's not to like for our three amigos.

Exactly, it pretty easy especially with the internet, to search online and find out about these scams, but sadly there must be that 1% of people who refuse to believe that "when something sounds too good to be true it is" I have half a notion to go down there next weekend and warn parents who show up that they area a scam and ask them to Google the company on their cell phones and see for themselves.

I have a Joseph Energy Machine I'll let go cheap because I need to raise cash fast for a big opportunity in Nigeria.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I have a Joseph Energy Machine I'll let go cheap because I need to raise cash fast for a big opportunity in Nigeria.
banana2.gif

Make that a Joe Newman Energy Machine. Or maybe a little cold fusion from Cold Fusion U.

My aunt fell for this for my cousin.
frown.gif
Not these exact people but you know the deal.

They guaranteed if you paid them some fee they'd find that fee and then some in grants/ "free money" so there was no way you could lose.

Don't most US Citizens get a Pell Grant right off the bat? That's the scam.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
When a student graduated from HS they face a real scam, student loans.

The bankers got together with the politicians and the schools and cooked up this scheme. Create a special loan program. The banks and the politicians get their cut, the schools raise their prices and create a bunch of extra simple do nothing approved classes. Everyone can get a loan to attend somewhere and there are classes that guarantee the student will be around long enough to run up a colossal debt. The three of them pocket the immense profits and guess who gets the bill? And if it's never paid they've got that covered, too. You and I pick up the guaranteed shortfall. What's not to like for our three amigos.

Right you are!
Just as easy credit has helped to drive up the cost of houses and motor vehicles, it's also enabled sharp increases in the cost of higher education.
The difference is that anyone in real trouble can discharge a car or house note through personal bankruptcy while the guaranteed student loans may only be discharged through death.

How you make it in the real world is being savvy.
Nothing about ethical, that will buy you a coffee with $1.50.
Can't blame them for making money on people's stupidity, if they don't someone else will because we never run out of stupid people.

Well what they do is legal (barely) and they do know that out of every 100 people who they target, only 1 or 2% probably fall for it and spend 2K for information that is free. I talked to one of their reps on the phone and called them out and they hung up on me. They know about the internet as well and they cannot stop the thousands of angry people who do not fall for the scam. They do not care about the hundreds of bad reviews, they know that people like me and you are onto their scam so they keep mailing out letters till they find someone who falls for it. But as long as that 1 to 2% fall for it that company probably makes millions per year. They are similar to the phone scams that call every week, most people mess with them or block them but when they make thousand of calls per day they have that 1-2% that fall for it spend the $$ and kep them in business. Sometimes they are shut down and fined by the feds , but they more often than not just change the name and start the scam all over again. These dirtbags are nothing short of crooks, though as the saying goes suckers born every minute.
Anyway hopefully no one on BITOG community falls for this scam. Sometimes I mess with scammers on the phone just to call them out and then like the losers they are they hang up. I figure they deserve it. i forwarded a copy of letter to my state AG fraud department so hopefully they can at least put the microscope on them. The state of Iowa sued these same crooks a few years back... they had a different name then, but it was same dirtbags running the same scam. I am pretty sure I am going to go to it next sat or sunday listen to them and play along,,, then I when they tell me it is 2K I will tell them that I can get what they are selling for free. They might even call hotel security on me because I will call them out for the scammers they are.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Can't blame them for making money on people's stupidity, if they don't someone else will because we never run out of stupid people.

Wow!
What business experience taught you this?
Massage parlor?
The being savvy part will work great until some person more savvy than you who shares you views on ethical behavior comes along and eats your lunch.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

Wow!
What business experience taught you this?
Massage parlor?
The being savvy part will work great until some person more savvy than you who shares you views on ethical behavior comes along and eats your lunch.

And that is how life is learned. I wasn't born savvy, I got savvy. You live and you learn or you just wonder through life complaining about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back