Use built-in system fonts for website design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm designing a new website for a small business and I'm trying to decide on a font stack. I'll probably opt for a sans-serif for body text (and maybe for all text), although I may opt for a serif font for heading type tags. My goal is a font that's simple, crisp and easily readable at typical 14-16px sizes.

I've looked at a lot of fonts on both Google and font squirrel, etc., etc. and given the impact (even if it's slight) on the page load time, I'm just not sure it's worth bothering? I don't feel like there's an obvious improvement in text readability. *I* think, unless you have a very compelling reason to use an external font...why bother?

Having said all of that, do you have a favorite serif and sans-serif font stack that uses both Windows and Apple built-in fonts that you like for website development? I'm leaning toward something like:

font-family:"Lucida Grande", "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, sans-serif;

but I think this can be improved a little.

Ed

Sans is the best way to go for readability on screen; and Helvetica/ Arial is hard to beat if all you want is a great, no-nonsense and a not-uniquely-stylized aesthetic. Ending your font-family with sans or sans-serif will ensure that it will default to any given system's default sans-serif font, irrespective of what you specify before if the system doesn't have it installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back