0W20 Oil Can I use this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Tacoma calls for 5W30. The truck was manufactured before 0W20 was even thought of. Is this a safe switch or stick with what Toyota says to use? Thanks in advance.

I second a 0w30 if your wet dream is to have a 0w bottle of oil in the garage.

Even if the truck was supposedly back spec'd for 0w20, WHY would you use it? Better fuel economy?
33.gif

You could but why? A 5w-30 will work perfectly in your climate. The 0w oils are more for super cold climates and to increase very slightly fuel economy and less emissions a little on warm up.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
0w oils are to increase very slightly fuel economy.

Got Proof? I say a pump calculated 0.2mpg increase isn't enough to consider the 0w oil as a sucesss. The 0w is for cold flow, not fuel economy. I wish people would stop repeating this nonsense. The number AFTER the W is what effects fuel economy, after both the engine and oil are up to operating temp.

OP I used 0w20 in my truck with 240k miles on it, it is a 5vz fe v6 and it preformed just fine. Low end torque seemed better and so was idle.

I also run 0w20 in my mini van with the 3.3 v6 that pushes more horsepower than my truck. It preforms amazing in this engine. 282k miles and counting

Last edited:
On another thread, it was mentioned that PP dexos g2 was on the thin end of a 30wt for their 5W30. With all the certs it has I would look into running that rather than using the 0w.

I'd keep using the 5w-30 but if you have some of the 0w-20 and you want to use it up. I would just mix a quart of it into your next OCI. Especially if its going to be winter time.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: ZZman
0w oils are to increase very slightly fuel economy.

Got Proof? I say a pump calculated 0.2mpg increase isn't enough to consider the 0w oil as a sucesss. The 0w is for cold flow, not fuel economy. I wish people would stop repeating this nonsense. The number AFTER the W is what effects fuel economy, after both the engine and oil are up to operating temp.

Thank you, okay.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
OP I used 0w20 in my truck with 240k miles on it... Low end torque seemed better

Did that make sense when you typed it?

I wish people would drop the nonsense you need 0W20 for cold weather.
I lived in Pennsylvania mountains for 35 years and seen a multitude of starts on straight 30 and 40 wt and 10w30s and 10w40s.
These oils, contrary to popular belief do not solidafy at 32 degrees.
It's about cafe, nothing else.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
OP I used 0w20 in my truck with 240k miles on it... Low end torque seemed better

Did that make sense when you typed it?

Probably not, I have a 2 month old daughter right now...I don't think I will make sense for a few years.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I don't think you can tell any difference in torque just by changing oil.
I know I can't.

Throttle response seemed better somehow. I am not the only one on these forums to report that when using a thinner oil.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I don't think you can tell any difference in torque just by changing oil.
I know I can't.

Throttle response seemed better somehow. I am not the only one on these forums to report that when using a thinner oil.

I've seen those posts and I'm sure that people believe they feel an improvement. The belief is what makes them feel it.

Until I see back to back dyno runs with an oil change between them I don't buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back