modern town and country snow tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A radial carcass with the classic Firestone zig zag tread? Maybe an all terrain type for a Camry? I'm looking for a set of snow tires on wheels for the Camry SE. Also do I need those tire pressure thingies on a set of dedicated snow tires? Please drag me into the 3rd millennium. TIA
grin2.gif

There are some inexpensive snow tire options on walmart .com. with the ship to the store option. In terms of TPMS sensors, yes, you'll need them if you don't want the dash light on. Problem is, if your vehicle's system is like my 2016 Subaru Forester, it can only memorize 4 sensors at a time, so every change over requires a reprogramming if you want to keep the dash light out.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: andyd
A radial carcass with the classic Firestone zig zag tread?

Why would you want that?

+1

And if the light on doesn't bother you, just leave the TPMS sensors in the tires you'll use the most.

Originally Posted By: Dave9
Tires not even linked? Makes no sense.

Getting sensors and perhaps having to have them programmed each season can be quite expensive and time consuming. So most winter tire and steels wheels don't have TPMS in the great white north. My new KIA and Hyundai don't come with TPMS in Canada as not required by law and I am totally OK with that
Not sure how we survive without TPMS....
cool.gif

TPMS are inside the wheel, so if you take off the all season tires and have snow tires mounted on the same rims the TPMS will be a non issue. I switch to snow tires on all of my vehicles in mid Oct and run them till about mid April. Cost about $60.00 for each vehicle to swap them out, and Ihave never had an issue with the TPMS. Our 02 CRV of course does not have TPMS, but Santa Fe and Sonata do. TPMS was mandated for all vehicles in about 2006 or 2007 as I recall. I have never once regretted having snow tires on. I use General Altimax studless , but all snow tire brands have an aggressive tread pattern sort of zig zag. All season tires just do not compare with the traction a good snow tire offers.

This is about as "old school" as you can get for a snow tire that will fit that Camry. It would be much easier to find a snow tire with a "classic" tread pattern with the ranger in your signature.

I believe you must have meant that reply for Andy, as I do not have a ford Ranger, but regardless certainly Firestone winter force tires are a pretty good winter tire as well especially at that price point.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I believe you must have meant that reply for Andy, as I do not have a ford Ranger, but regardless certainly Firestone winter force tires are a pretty good winter tire as well especially at that price point.

Yes that was meant for Andy, my apologies.

My dad got those stupid flinstone tires on my mom's camry that I inherited and they were terrible. They couldn't grip snow or ice, were loud, and thumped. Peeled them off and got some champiros from DTD that are ages better and are only the cheapest snows I could find.

What's the smallest you can run and clear your brakes? 5x114 lugs and the world's your oyster. You can make a PVC "bomb" with your sensors if you want to keep the light off, or get ebay's Techstream bootleg program and dongle for like $20 and set your own sensors, sold separately.

Originally Posted By: andyd
A radial carcass with the classic Firestone zig zag tread? Maybe an all terrain type for a Camry? I'm looking for a set of snow tires on wheels for the Camry SE. Also do I need those tire pressure thingies on a set of dedicated snow tires? Please drag me into the 3rd millennium. TIA
grin2.gif

The SE Camry has 17" wheels while the LE has 16" wheels. So I would get the smaller wheels for winter. Tire size will be 205/65R16s. You can cut a piece of black electrical tape to go over the warning light that will be on the dash. Many tires are out of stock on DTD but there are some Hankooks available. They should go on sale for the Black Friday sale but order them immediately while they're still available. You can order stealies on there as well. Plus they will arrive mounted and balanced on the rims.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
My dad got those stupid flinstone tires on my mom's camry that I inherited and they were terrible. They couldn't grip snow or ice, were loud, and thumped. Peeled them off and got some champiros from DTD that are ages better and are only the cheapest snows I could find.

What's the smallest you can run and clear your brakes? 5x114 lugs and the world's your oyster. You can make a PVC "bomb" with your sensors if you want to keep the light off, or get ebay's Techstream bootleg program and dongle for like $20 and set your own sensors, sold separately.

Winterforce are probably the worst snow tires I've run. They only had marginal grip with the studs I had but deep snow and slush were not great.

Hondas have "fat" calipers. In my experience a 5x114.3 wheel with the same backspace and offset as a Honda wheel, from another vehicle, won't work on a Honda. It will hit the outside of the caliper.

Good ole Firestone Town & Country snow biters, my Father ran those on his 4wd trucks. I’ve been running the Hercules Avalanche snow tires in the winter lately. They have an aggressive pattern and can be studded if allowed in your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back