Bad on me :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time I changed the oil / filter on our Chevy Sonic 1.8l , I neglected to change the O-Ring on the plastic " filter cap " . ( A new O-Ring comes with each new filter . )

I quickly noticed the smell of " hot " oil . Sure enough , it was seeping a little oil down on the exhaust system .

Yesterday PM , my Wife assisted me . Removed the " filter cap " & filter . Cleaned things up , changed out the O-Ring , poped the little cartrage filter into the " cap " and tightened it down .

We shall see what we will see . Wish me luck .

This is all just an example of being in too much of a hurry to do something right the first time .

Glad I order the little filters reasonably priced from RockAuto.com .

http://www.rockauto.com/info/690/PG5839__ra_p.jpg

http://www.rockauto.com/info/342/55593189_Alternate1__ra_p.jpg

Best of luck to you all , :)

I get the AAP Speed Perks discounts . Some times , buying from them is about the same cost as ordering from RockAuto.com , when you add in the freight .

Depends on if I really need the parts now or can wait until they are delivered .

I price Rockauto.com , AutoZone , AAP and O'Reilly .

Take care , :)

I rarely buy from Advance. Ignorant counter people, too many poor brands and higher prices keep me from going there. It seems no matter how quiet the store is, it always is atleast a fifteen minute process buying there.When not buying from Rock, I usually will go to the mom and pop auto store in town. I like supporting local business when possible and deal with very knowledgeable people.

Last edited:
I've read about folks here reusing the gasket if their new filter didn't come with one. I am surprised to see it leak on you.

Good thing you caught it!

Your wife sounds like a keeper too if she helps you with cars. (You probably know this by now.)
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I rarely buy from Advance. Ignorant counter people, too many poor brands and higher prices keep me from going there. It seems no matter how quiet the store is, it always is atleast a fifteen minute process buying there.When not buying from Rock, I usually will go to the mom and pop auto store in town. I like supporting local business when possible and deal with very knowledgeable people.

I usually order from AAP , on line and pick up the parts later . Quick in and out . And there store seems pretty good .

Also , check out their monthly oil / filter sales .

Best of luck to you

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I've read about folks here reusing the gasket if their new filter didn't come with one. I am surprised to see it leak on you.

Your wife sounds like a keeper too if she helps you with cars. (You probably know this by now.)
grin.gif

Yes , I think I will keeper her .

If this does not solve the leak problem , will probably replace the O-Ring on the oil drain plug , next .

By the way , the closest auto parts store is an O'Reilly . It is probably my favorite , local brick and mortar Parts store .

Stay warm , :)

Yester day we went by the self service car wash . Used engine cleaner on the engine , then light spary rinse .

Seem to have less burnt / hot oil odor as time goes by .

Maybe .........

Best of luck to you all .

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

grin.gif

The original light blue O-ring that GM uses can be used over many times. It's the cheap, usually black, replacement O=rings that come with replacement filters that don't last long. I have seen 1 case where the owner didn't place the O-ring in the groove and it leaked very bad. He put the o-ring on the threads of the cap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back