S/C 3800 maintenance pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
92,000 miles never been apart.

Installed new water pump and valve cover gaskets today. Should finish it up tomorrow.

Needed some love but should run awesome when I am done.

just did my water pump om my buick what a PITA to put the power steering pump back up ,,,, be sure to double check your belt lacings , and wnen you put the accessory drive belt on make sure your all the way into the alternator pully , I was off 1 grove and mised it and sliced up a new belt 39 bucks shot in the backside

I'm guessing not a lifetime of Mobil 1
lol.gif

Looks like you caught it just in time Mike.....Good job!

It's funny that the 3800's seem to be the least prone to intake gasket failures compared to the 3100/3400 & Vortec 4.3/5.0/5.7

did you also change the blower oil as well while everything was apart? Supposedly jet engine oil can be used in those.

Originally Posted By: nthach
did you also change the blower oil as well while everything was apart? Supposedly jet engine oil can be used in those.

GM have a TSB offering that M1 5W30 can be used in it.

Given that the condensed Cat's pee down here was $50/116ml, and you needed 1.6 bottles, I used whatever synthetic that I was using.

This looks about how my truck's gaskets looked. Smashed pieces of decomposing squid.

I love jobs like this though. They bring a good sense of accomplishment. This is nice of you to do.

Also, run 0w40!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thorromig
Way to go, did not take you long to jump into it!!!
wink.gif

It is currently residing in Trans Am's garage space.

Gwen as she is known as, is disappointed with me.

smile.gif

I used to own a 2004 Monte Carlo SS with the supercharged 3800 and I had to have the intake gaskets done when I first bought it used. I enjoyed the car but wanted to have a V8 again so I traded it in on my 2014 Mustang GT.

My 1998 chevy K1500 with the 5.7L that I bought new is on it's fourth set of intake gaskets in only 135,000 miles and the last set was installed years and miles ago.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Nitronoise
just did my water pump om my buick what a PITA to put the power steering pump back up ,,,,

I use a short piece of slightly thinner threaded rod on these just long enough to remove it when its done the job by getting it a bit sideways to remove it, otherwise you cant get it out.

This at least holds the pump up there so you can fiddle the lower bolt in first. It makes a PITA a quick and easy job.

I just remove the dang tensioner bracket. Then I can see what I am doing.

Hope to have it finished up this weekend. I am putting a radiator in it as well. Just waiting on two GM specific O-rings. They sit in the lower intake manifold and seal up to the bottom of the supercharger. Those O-rings, radiator and shift kit should be here today.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Should be good for another 100k!!

P.S. Happy Birthday ls1mike!
grin.gif

I hope so! Should be a problem the radiator was 99 bucks shipped!

And thanks! 43 today.

Happy Birthday to you too!!

I really need to get my 2000 Regal GS on the road again. It's a great car, super clean and loaded but needs an engine. I got it free from a coworker who ran low on coolant and overheated the motor. It runs but knocks bad. I have a used engine sitting in my shop waiting to go in but I have not made time for it. It was going to either be my son's 1st car or my daily work beater. I always like them and now that I have one (for 2 years!) I need to enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back