Bleeding PS system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a google search but I'm getting a variety of answers from people that I don't quite trust. Replaced the PS pump and cooler in my Liberty. Here's what I'm thinking of doing:
1. Fill reservoir to full line
2. Jack it up
3. Cycle the wheels near lock to lock 25 times
4. Check fluid level and refill if needed
5. Cycle wheels again 25 times
6. Start it and hope for the best?

Put fluid in, idle the car and keep adding until at a safe stable level, shut off, jack the car up so the front wheels are off the ground, start the car again and have someone turn the wheel all the way in both directions back and forth as you keep an eye on the fluid. A few times is enough then take it for a drive and keep an eye on the fluid for the next couple days. It's what I do with my vehicles when needed.

Last edited:
Why jack it up? Nothing like a little load on things to burp the bubbles out.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

You want as little stress on the system as possible for the initial burping.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: eljefino

You want as little stress on the system as possible for the initial burping.

Stress how? You can drive a PS system when it's dry as a failsafe just by man-handling it. There'll be enough residual fluid to lubricate stuff.

Do that with a dry pump and see what happens... It's different when a belt snaps and the pump stops and you need to "Man Handle" it. Yes I have done this too.

Wheels off the ground makes it so much easier to bleed without the pump running, way easier on you. Usually within 3-5 locks manually gets most out, then Ill start it and go watch the level with some in hand to top it as it sucks it down. Quick road test, then recheck, and usually its pretty good.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I've done a google search but I'm getting a variety of answers from people that I don't quite trust. Replaced the PS pump and cooler in my Liberty. Here's what I'm thinking of doing:
1. Fill reservoir to full line
2. Jack it up
3. Cycle the wheels near lock to lock 25 times
4. Check fluid level and refill if needed
5. Cycle wheels again 25 times
6. Start it and hope for the best?

That's exactly how Mopar wants you to do it.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Do that with a dry pump and see what happens... It's different when a belt snaps and the pump stops and you need to "Man Handle" it. Yes I have done this too.

It's not dry if you put fluid in... Not being a douche but look at all the cars with slow leaks that finally alert the driver by making moaning noises from the cavitation or whatever. Add fluid, drive on.
19.gif

My 2014 Jeep factory service manual procedure is to apply vacuum at the power steering fluid reservoir for about 3 minutes. Repeat until the fluid level no longer drops. Refill to the proper mark. Then, start up the engine and do three lock-to-lock wheel turns. Here's an example: http://www.wkjeeps.com/TSB/tsb_wk_1900805.pdf

The method discussed by the rest of you seems to be the most prevalent on You Tube.

I did what I outlined in my first post and then ran it for a minute, it sucked it down, refilled, fired it back up and it sucked more down, topped it up and let it run till the fluid level didn't drop again. Going to keep checking it.

I too was wondering how to do this. I've watched a few YouTube videos which show disconnecting the bottom reservoir hose and then cycling the steering back and forth until the old fluid stops.

Refill and replace.

Anything wrong with that?

For just a fluid exchange? I wouldn't disconnect anything. Just get a turkey baster and suck out the reservoir, fill with new, run it for a few days or a week and repeat till it's clean. I don't know how much most PS systems take, but I think my Jeep probably takes about a quart or a little more.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
For just a fluid exchange? I wouldn't disconnect anything. Just get a turkey baster and suck out the reservoir, fill with new, run it for a few days or a week and repeat till it's clean. I don't know how much most PS systems take, but I think my Jeep probably takes about a quart or a little more.

This is what I usually do. However, I've viewed some conflicting procedures detailing "purging" etc. I like your idea of replacing the fluid every few days, however, does this method actually purge the older fluid?

Eventually. I just worry about pulling lines and then running it. I'd be worried about frying a pump, and if you get 95% of the fluid out anyway, that's good enough and more than most people do.

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
I too was wondering how to do this. I've watched a few YouTube videos which show disconnecting the bottom reservoir hose and then cycling the steering back and forth until the old fluid stops.

Refill and replace.

Anything wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with that, when you have clean fluid coming out fill the reservoir and use a gizmo like this to pump the air out.
GM actually has a part # for this tool but theirs cost more than $1.49 not including the pump.

Hard nylon tubing slash cut for easier insertion through the small hole drill through the stopper, lube with WD40. Ace hardware has lots of sizes just buy one that fits tightly in the top if its a screw on or push on cap, or a larger one that covers the opening if it uses ear type cap.
Pull about 17" and let it sit for an hour, if it drops (it probably will) pump it back up until it holds. This also cures pump whine on many cars.

I have done this many times, almost exactly as you said.
25 times? You are a better man then me. I'd do five or six max, but that's me.
Jack it up for sure. Stress removal on all new parts and your old back.

When I installed a new pump I used my 1/2 inch electric drill to spin the pump to initially bleed the system before even starting the engine. Don't use a cordless drill, or you will burn it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back