Don't vote? Don't complain: Not a political thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voting is very interesting to me. I am not sure everyone who votes is actually qualified enough or spends the time to learn enough about what they are voting for.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Voting is compulsory here. If it wasn't, I'd expect similarly low voter turnout.

Agreed...although I'm interested in the return rate on the latest postal ballot.

Having to attend doesn't mean that you can't make a (feeble) stand at the polling booths. I've voted "none of the above" before. I've also run for local council to try to effect change.

And years ago had a girlfriend who counted ballots...she got giggles out of reading protest votes.

Originally Posted By: Bud
I have always voted but people have a right to gripe and complain whether they vote or not. I have always heard that phrase of if you don't vote you don't have the right to complain. Don't buy into that [censored]. It is called freedom to voice your opinion.

I agree with you.....voting doesn't give you the right to complain. Free speech does.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Young folks voting for hope and change are in for a rude awakening...

I seen a poll recently that showed that young Americans admire Mao and Stalin....the school system is really doing a good job at brainwashing our youth....

This purported poll was probably agenda based nonsense since very few young people or even adults know anything of either Mao or Stalin and I'm not aware of any school that teaches their virtues.
Mao can be best remembered for his Cultural Revolution, which killed and imprisoned many and Stalin for having murdered millions of his own citizens.
Other than that, both were pretty good guys.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Voting is very interesting to me. I am not sure everyone who votes is actually qualified enough or spends the time to learn enough about what they are voting for.

I bet you yourself are just above the imagined qualifications cutoff line though!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: oldhp
First time ever.............I did not vote for da prez. Couldn't bring myself to even vote for better bad one.
10.gif

Something like 4.5 million voters avoided that bumper crop of winners compared to previous!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Blockchain based online voting would bring voting up to 21st century standards. Public ledger, vote from a mobile device or a PC, and 1 citizen = 1 vote.

If by 21st century standards, you mean network outages, corrupted networks and lost information (votes), then you're right.
Voting in most states is just so darn easy these days, with no-fault absentee ballots and early voting that I see little reason for anyone not to exercise their right to vote.
When I voted Tuesday morning before heading to work, there were more poll workers on site than voters and there was a vast array of barely used voting machines.
No hardship for anyone responsible enough to vote, and it is a matter of personal responsibility.

You missed the part about using a blockchain. Public ledger of votes. Read about it if you don't know what it is.

I believe that the number of people NOT voting speaks volumes. There should be a choice of “none of the above” in every election. Yes there is the write in vote available sometimes, but forcing a “do over” would send a very clear message.

Preidential elections: I will vote again when they get rid of the electoral college. With that system in place, our votes can be circumvented. It was necessary in 1776 but not today.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I will vote again when they get rid of the electoral college. With that system in place, our votes can be circumvented. It was necessary in 1776 but not today.

So basically NY and CA get to decide who is president every 4 years? Because that's what it would boil down to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back