I forgot a simple step when changing rotors.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed out the 2 front rotors and brake pads on my 2001 Sequoia today. I was so proud of myself. It's all tidied up in the drive, the suns gone down and as I was just standing in the shower, it dawned on me I forgot to clean the rotors before putting them on. I even bedded the brake pads and stopped just short of high fixing myself for a job well done. lol How big a deal is this? I've never forgotten to do that before just because I heard you need to do so before hand. I never knew how vital that step is. I'm leaving before dawn in the morning and was planning to drive it. Any feedback from the late night crew is appreciated.

Thanks!

did you read the rotor installation guide; IIRC my !echo! rotors required no cleaning.

OT:do you have the 1 or 2 piston calipers; i believe they were redesigned in the early 2000s.

Depends how greasy your hands were, for the most part some smudges, little oil, wouldn't worry, it will burn or rub off.

4 piston, and there were no instructions, just rotors. I don't recall ever having instructions for rotors. lol

I was wearing black mechanic gloves (ringers) so not greasy but some minor stuff. Thanks for the replies.

If you have driven it, nothing to do.

Cleaning them before use will get any anti corrosion stuff off them, as well as any dirt and stuff from the install.
The "damage" has already been done, which will be minimal.
You may notice it does not stop as well as you think is should for a few miles, but it will all work itself out within 100 miles or so (if you notice any problem at all).

My opinion is that it's really a non issue these days, unless it was actually dirty..

Last set of rotors I put on, I just wiped them clean and mounted them. Then again I'm no pro
thumbsup2.gif

I'm confident you should be just fine.

The last two or three sets of rotors I bought all said to put them on with no cleaning. Not to say that's the same for your brand but it seems a common thing nowadays.

You will be fine, sleep well tonight.
I remember I had a co. car in the 80s, and new brakes were installed. They felt like [censored] so brought it back to the Midas....
I guess they didn't clean the rotors. The mechanic drove it around a large parking lot for a few minutes with the brake applied. They worked fine after that and the car went back on a lease return, brakes worked well.

I know my Duralast Gold rotors were ready to put on right out of the box. No cleaning necessary. I bet your rotors had the same circumstance has well.

I've developed a habit of hitting all brake parts with brake cleaner before they go on the car.
Fitting them to the car 'straight outta the box' could make braking worse for the first few miles until the coating has burned away.

Considering they possibly came with packing/ storage oil, I don't think you did your pads any favors.

I am assuming you test drove it. Did it stop? If so, you're good.

I would replace the pads in the near future though.

Don't totally know about that.. Carquest Premium brake rotors can be put on right out of the box they claim. Has well as the Duralast Gold rotors I got in August. So, if they were a "higher" line of brake rotors then it is quite possible that they were all set right out of the box. Now if they were the bottom rung brake rotors... Then yeah they could have not been ready right out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back