Pennzoil Ultra Platinum not dexos1 Gen2 approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
The new Blend and new Platinum seem like great oils on paper for newer cars. The PUP formula came out over 3 years ago.

The Platinum looks impressive by the PDS posted awhile back. I’m eagerly awaiting your analysis results to see the actual composition additive wise.

I took back the Pennzoil Platinum I purchased the other night as I found Pennzoil Ultra Platinum today for $8.00 dollars less a jug (5ltr). I was a bit concerned not seeing the green Dexos sticker/logo on the front but when I checked their site, it says it meets/exceeds that standard.

Industry specifications:

API SN, SM, SL and SJ
ACEA A1/B1-10, A1/B1-12 (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30*)
ACEA A5/B5-10, A5/B5-12 (SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30*)
ILSAC GF-5
Exceeds ILSAC GF-5 engine cleansing and protection requirements
*Engine protection only
OEM specifications:

Chrysler MS-6395 (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
Chrysler MS12633 (SRT) (SAE 0W-40)
GM dexos1™ Certification (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30)
GM 4718M (Corvette and Cadillac) (SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
GM 6094M (SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
Ford WSS-M2C930-A and WSS-M2C945-A (SAE 5W-20)
Ford WSS-M2C929-A and WSS-M2C946-A (SAE 5W-30)
Ford WSS-M2C947-A (SAE 0W-20)
Honda/Acura HTO-06 (SAE 5W-30)

This oil is likely overkill for my wife's 3.6 Chevy Impala, but for the price, it was a no brainer in my opinion, and, IIRC, the Ultra flows a little better at colder temps than the Platinum does? I assume I am OK running this, but am all ears if people think I purchased the wrong oil?

Originally Posted By: irv
I took back the Pennzoil Platinum I purchased the other night as I found Pennzoil Ultra Platinum today for $8.00 dollars less a jug (5ltr). I was a bit concerned not seeing the green Dexos sticker/logo on the front but when I checked their site, it says it meets/exceeds that standard.

This oil is likely overkill for my wife's 3.6 Chevy Impala, but for the price, it was a no brainer in my opinion, and, IIRC, the Ultra flows a little better at colder temps than the Platinum does? I assume I am OK running this, but am all ears if people think I purchased the wrong oil?

It still has dexos1 gen1 approval. This is about dexos1 Gen2. The biggest benefit of Gen2 is formulation that reduces the likelihood of low speed pre-ignition. If your engine isn't direct injection I wouldn't worry about it.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro

It still has dexos1 gen1 approval. This is about dexos1 Gen2. The biggest benefit of Gen2 is formulation that reduces the likelihood of low speed pre-ignition. If your engine isn't direct injection I wouldn't worry about it.

According to this post by, Ricky, my engine is DI.

Rickey Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Greetings.

Don't let anyone talk you out of using the Dexos 1 spec oil in your 3.6.
It's Direct Injection with a very stout compression ratio.

The Dexos 1 spec is designed to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) among other things.

LSPI is a real concern with the combination of Direct Injection and high compression.

Good day.

Based on this, would I be further ahead to go get the Pennzoil Platinum and return the Ultra?

Last edited:
My guess is the reason PUP is not D1G2 is that PUP not longer exists.

If that's the case, wouldn't Pennzoil remove PUP from their website?

I just double checked and the Pennzoil Platinum I returned today was just Dexos 1, it was NOT the 2nd generation type so in conclusion, I don't think there is any difference between the Ultra I traded for and the Platinum I had previously Dexos wise? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the only difference here is, I got the Ultra for $8.00 dollars cheaper and aside from the Dexos label not being on the front, I picked up a bit better oil for less money?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pennzoil-platinum-synthetic-motor-oil-5-l-0289323p.html (Has a zoom feature)

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
My guess is the reason PUP is not D1G2 is that PUP not longer exists.

If that's the case, wouldn't Pennzoil remove PUP from their website?

Let me rephrase that.PUP in its current configuration doesn't exist anymore.

I just double checked and the Pennzoil Platinum I returned today was just Dexos 1, it was NOT the 2nd generation type so in conclusion, I don't think there is any difference between the Ultra I traded for and the Platinum I had previously Dexos wise? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the only difference here is, I got the Ultra for $8.00 dollars cheaper and aside from the Dexos label not being on the front, I picked up a bit better oil for less money?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pennzoil-platinum-synthetic-motor-oil-5-l-0289323p.html (Has a zoom feature)

Yes Ultra is supposed to be better. PP Dexos1 Gen2 only became recently available so it will be hit and miss with regards to finding it on store shelves.

I just spoke to the tech line this afternoon, they are not going to pay for the approvals on UItra . It has not been has reformulated in Sept as Platinum has to meet Gen 2 . I couldn't get a Calcium # so I wont be using it on my 3.2 Ecoboost.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It sounds like in some areas, PUP is widely available. I’ve never seen here in the area I am in.

Here's a PUP for you.

justlabsindex.jpg

Since Ultra in the three iterations I know of was never widely available, what difference does it make?
This oil always seemed like SOPUS's answer to M1 EP and may have even been the better oil, but since it was never consistently available, that didn't matter.
I had six jugs of Ultra that I got FAR, three of the maybe better API SM and three of the later SN.
I think I still have two remaining.
A good oil that was never properly marketed nor distributed.
Whether SOPUS bothers with the gen 2 dexos licensing or not, Ultra remains a top-shelf oil that you can't buy because you can't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back