School principal tells teachers to change grades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't happen. But of course it does sometimes in schools where compensation or continued employment for the principal depends on grades. As in most other walks of life, follow the money.

Baltimore cannot be the only place that does that, not by a long shot. I think this has likely been going on with many many schools for many many years. I graduated in 1978 from HS in Sioux Falls SD, I was an average student at best,not a great student, but mostly solid B's with a few A's and a couple of C's sprinkled in, somehow I managed to avoid getting D. All of my C grades were geometry, trig and algebra which I did struggle with and had little to zero interest in. Even back in the years from 74 to 78 when I was in school I never knew of a single kid who did not graduate, there were always a few who had D'd and F's in every class , but somehow they passed and got that diploma. Grades had to have been changed for that to have happened. My parents who graduated HS in the mid 50's said that it was not uncommon for kids to be held back to repeat a grade, or if in HS have to attend summer school after the rest of the class had graduated and they would not get to walk across the stage and they would have diploma mailed to them after passing summer school. My dad said it was known as "summer bummer" Schools do not hold kids back or send them to summer school any more.everybody passes and with each grade they fall farther and farther behind. I am guessing that this practice of passing everyone started back in the 70's. The teachers and principles will not come out in public and say it, but the reality is everyone passes, at least at public schools.. private schools are probably a different story.

31.gif

When my wife worked at a technical college, her boss told her she could not fail all the students she wanted to.
She told him that she couldn't give passing grades to people who weren't learning anything, but he told her that he would just change grades for her if she didn't knuckle under. Many of the students were getting public aid to attend this school and would just keep going as long as they possibly could gathering as many certificates as possible, think terms were a bit different for the 2 year associate's degrees and those students could not attend forever...one of the students my wife had trouble with finally got pushed out of the school and could only find work as a janitor.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
No child left behind.

Yep. Otherwise, big trouble for the teachers and school.

Because, of course, Life out in the world will pamper, coddle, and change their grades for them too... in the unemployment line.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
School principal tells teachers to change grades of failing students.

PROJECT BALTIMORE: Text Message Instructs City Teachers to Change Grades

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-bal...o-change-grades

I went to a big 12 champion college, and if you think the above is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, wait till you see what goes on colleges.

I'll bet that not all of those Baltimore kids were athletes, though... ;^)

The best way to improve attendance and grades is to give government assistance based on that attendance and grades. They will improve and that may have nothing to do with anything the teachers or students do just the reported numbers.

A few years ago in California, there were untold amounts of money spent on studying the problem of improving teacher performance, student attendance, and overall grades. The company doing the study was owned by the wife of one of the state senators but the citizens were assured when this information was disclosed after the study that it was only a coincidence and did not reflect the outcome of the study. The state followed her extensive multitiered implementation plan. They changed the numbers and kept changing them until the goals were met. This is just another example of government excellence in action.

I remember the Atlanta public schools making the national news with a cheating scandal. Several people went to prison over it.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
School principal tells teachers to change grades of failing students.

PROJECT BALTIMORE: Text Message Instructs City Teachers to Change Grades

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-bal...o-change-grades

I went to a big 12 champion college, and if you think the above is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, wait till you see what goes on colleges.

Agreed....in my summer Psych class we had the football punter and starting center. Neither came very often. One got. D, the other an F.

The coach called the professor about it...they both got.a C to keep their eligibility....

Probably been going on for years. Just listen to some pro athletes try to string together a sentence you can understand. Note, I said some.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I remember the Atlanta public schools making the national news with a cheating scandal. Several people went to prison over it.

The school superintendent told the teachers that "Walmart is hiring".... so teachers were changing answers on student's scan-tron.

Something similar happened where I live a while back. The school in the most urban/poor area of the city just could not pass any competency exams, and funding was somewhat based on passing exams, so teachers fiddled with the grades/scales.

This is why PROCESS and not OUTCOMES matter more in the end.

In highschool algebra class we had two football players. One day the teacher said we have a problem. He called the name of a student and said your grade is a D and you need a C to stay on the football team. What can you do to earn a C? Oh, I got it. He then took his chalk and made a line about 12 feet long on the chalk board. He then said OK lick that off and you get a C. So the kid got up in-front of the whole class and licked the line off of of the chalk-board, and then went back to his seat. The teacher then called the name of the other football player and said your grade is an E. What can you do to earn a C, it has to be something harder to do. OK, I got it. The teacher then made another chalk line in the exact same spot as the first one, only this time the chalk board was still wet the entire length from where the first football player had licked it. The teacher then said OK, the exact same spot, lick it off. And the second football player then got up from his seat and licked the still wet black-board in the same spot as the first student, and then went back to his seat and sat down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back