Between these three, what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
Hi Bitog community...
I want to change out the rear differential oil on my suv that's in my sig, I doubt it's ever been changed....The book says 80w 90 premium oil...I need 5.5 pints...Can I get away with using...

#1 one of these?-https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-80W-90-High-Performance-Gear-Oil-1-Gallon/16795067
or
#2 three of these?-https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-75W-90-Syn-Blend-Gear-Oil-1-Quart/16795248
or
#3 three of these?-https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-XY-80W90-QL-Premium-Lubricant/dp/B000NU1D3U

Can I use the cheapest one ? Is there much of a difference? Or maybe another. What would you use? The truck runs Great, and I plan on keeping it for a long time, I was ready to buy the 75w90 syn blend but am wondering if the weight of the oil would be okay...I'm trying to go the cheapest route... Thanks!

Last edited:
I think cheapest is fine.

The Explorer Sport should be a 8.8" rear, which can handle 500HP pretty reliably.

I don't think the ol' 4.0 is working it all that hard
grin.gif

Some Ford rear diffs also require a couple of ounces of ford friction modifier in addition to the 80w90 gear oil. I would check with a ford shop, perhaps they have a gear oil that ha the friction stuff already mixed in. any of those 3 would do the job as well as the other.

GOLDEN RULE: Dino oil in the rear.
Why don't you use Pennzoil or Valvoline or Mobil HD.

If it says 80w Id. stick with 80W.

But now Here come the axle seal leaks.

Follow the owner manual recommendation. You'll get a thousand different recommendations here. Just follow owner manual recommendation and you have to deal with the Paralysis of Analysis that can set in with so many options laid out before you.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
If you have AutoZone get the Delo 75w90 full synthetic for $5.99/qt. It's been priced wrong for a few years.

+1, it's a really good for what it is.

I think you'll be fine with either option, but do check if the diff calls for any FM additive to be added. If the diff hasn't been touched there's a small stamped metal tag that says if FM or a specific weight is needed. If not, on the door or B-pillar certification label there's a axle code and you can see if it's a regular diff or limited slip based on that code here: http://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-artic...e-door-sticker/

Yes, go for the ST 80W90 for its higher KV@40*C (data not available unfortunately), never mind it's mineral.
KV@40*C of modern day 75W90 generally does not comply with the original requirements in an 80W90 specified in your (pre-1999) book , which typically varies from KV@40*C 150 cSt to 320 cSt.
JMHO.

Where do you see that you need 80w-90?

The copy online I found shows you need 75w-140 synthetic fluid since you have the 4.0, and if you have a limited slip, you need to make sure you add friction modifier (even if the fluid you use says it has it, the Ford LS wants more than what is in the bottles).

I have Supertech 75w-140 in my truck right now, Valvoline 75w-140 in my brother in laws F150, and have used Lucas 75w-140. I have always added the Motorcraft XL-3 LS fluid to them (they all have LS).
Just use the cheapest one you can find (Valvoline at AAP with a coupon code can be had for cheap depending on the code).

Originally Posted By: blupupher

The copy online I found shows you need 75w-140 synthetic fluid since you have the 4.0, and if you have a limited slip, you need to make sure you add friction modifier (even if the fluid you use says it has it, the Ford LS wants more than what is in the bottles).

I have Supertech 75w-140 in my truck right now, Valvoline 75w-140 in my brother in laws F150, and have used Lucas 75w-140. I have always added the Motorcraft XL-3 LS fluid to them (they all have LS).
Just use the cheapest one you can find (Valvoline at AAP with a coupon code can be had for cheap depending on the code).

When these trucks came out in the mid-90s they were speced for 80W-90

Now (late 90s) Ford changed that spec to 75W150, especially if there is a limited slip.

The Valvoline fluid needs the friction modifier. I have cobra clutches in the explorer and it was making noise. It is now perfectly quiet.

Many 8.8s call for 75W140, but if you have an open (non-LS) diff, 80W90 should be fine for that year. I use cheap 80W90 in my 1994 open 8.8. That said, 75W140 is fine to use in all 8.8s.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy

When these trucks came out in the mid-90s they were speced for 80W-90

Now (late 90s) Ford changed that spec to 75W150, especially if there is a limited slip.

The Valvoline fluid needs the friction modifier. I have cobra clutches in the explorer and it was making noise. It is now perfectly quiet.

Ford 75W140 has a KV @40*C of 191 cSt ..........falling within the range of 150 cSt to 320 cSt.
The above statements from blupupher and ford46guy make perfect sense , indicating engineers from Ford holds on to their grounds vis-a-vis marketing and/or finance guys ...... for now.
Not sure if penalty against CAFE (non-)compliance has been incurred though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
GOLDEN RULE: Dino oil in the rear.

Splain it, please. Or if I should already have read it here, I ask for forgiveness.

page 224 http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/97expog1e.pdf

I have the non limited slip differential... door sticker says the axle is 41

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Many 8.8s call for 75W140, but if you have an open (non-LS) diff, 80W90 should be fine for that year. I use cheap 80W90 in my 1994 open 8.8. That said, 75W140 is fine to use in all 8.8s.

Thanks that's what Im going to use the cheap stuff, Im over thinking this, just wanted some opinions... Thanks Guys!

Originally Posted By: rollinpete

page 224 http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/97expog1e.pdf

I have the non limited slip differential... door sticker says the axle is 41

Ahh, OK, so you have a 3.27 open rear end.
I was reading footnote #3 for the 4.0 with 3.73/4.10 needing 75w-140.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back