Ca 2068 2161 2134

Ba 3 0 0

P 757 679 680

Zn 760 797 840

Fuel dilution 2.3 2.8 2.6

Soot
Water
Vis, 100C cSt 7.4 8.6 8.9

The mileage on the oil is up slightly, the fuel is down a bit and the viscosity is improved. I am wondering if the tow/haul mode is creating some of the dilution at high rpm, closed throttle times. This last drain I used t/h about 50% of the time vs. 100% the previous. We climbed the Rockies twice: the engine braking is excellent in t/h. On flat land I left it off.

Otherwise, wear metals have dropped off as expected and everything looks good. I will continue the 5000 mile drains and continue to experiment with tow/haul. I'm looking for Dnewton3s input.

Your UOA looks good for relatively new engine. The only things that really stand out are the fuel dilution of 2.6% and cST viscosity of 8.9, barely just in the 30 wt range. And this is after only after a ~5200 miles OCI on a Modular engine. Normally these Modular engines are usually quite easy on oil. Maybe the V-10 Modular is tougher on the oil than the V-8 Modular's.

Whimsey

Looks good to me. I get similar uoa's for my RV v-10 using Syn 5-20. I tow a trailer or a dolly with a car and motorcycle. Only use T/H in the mtns. Don't use a drop of oil in 4-5k. My last uoa had some fuel in it. I think because I idled it to warm it up to change the oil and it never got hot enough to evaporate everything. Is that what you did?

Iron is coming down nicely and honestly looks really good for an engine working that hard with that much swept volume. The fuel is what it is, my guess is that the open loop fine tips in around 70-80% load or throttle position and might be a little rich to prevent detonation which may be where the fuel is coming from, it certainly didn't hurt anything. Looking good!

This sample illustrates the difference between a problem and an occurrence. While the fuel dilution isn't what I would like to see, the wear metals indicate that the engine is suffering NO ill effects. That makes the dilution an occurrence and not a problem.

It does tell me that 5000 miles is going to be my limit on OCI.

BTW: it's a 7 quart capacity including a coolant-to-lube oil cooler. No oil added between changes.

The wear metals are all dropping; Al, Cu, Pb have already normalized. Fe it is coming down very nicely. This engine will continue break-in for perhaps another OCI or two, and then should be fairly steady after that.

Clearly the fuel, at this level, isn't affecting wear. If it doubled to 5%, I'd be more cautious. But at this level, it's just fine. Fuel dilution has been reasonably consistent, and yet wear is dropping with break in. I have no idea why there is that amount of fuel; more than I'd expect to see as mod motors (never being DI, but MPI) just typically never have much fuel. But, regardless of the origin, it's not hurting anything at this level. Worth keeping an eye on ... but nothing to use as an excuse to change something. Sure - we'd like to see fuel below 1%; so what? There is no correlation exhibited here; let's not cause a panic where none is due.

Cannot recall what the OCI is per OEM; 5k miles? I'd stick to OEM OCI simply for warranty at this point. Then you might be able to stretch it out a bit.

Motor on with confidence!

What UOA service is this? Just curious.

Side note - I with that the V-10 was still available in the SD primary line-up (F250/F350); would probably prompt me to get a new truck. Although, from what I've seen, the 6.2L is a stout engine as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Cannot recall what the OCI is per OEM; 5k miles? I'd stick to OEM OCI simply for warranty at this point. Then you might be able to stretch it out a bit.

Motor on with confidence!

What UOA service is this? Just curious.

OCI is 5000 miles per Ford. I'll stick to that for the foreseeable future.

The lab is Polaris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back