What's the Best Super Glue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for something a little beyond and better than standard issue 100% ethyl cyanoacrylate. I need to hold the lens in a pair of wire frame sunglasses permanently so the glue needs a wee bit of flexibility and be somewhat tolerant of some flex and bend and still hold strong. They're not bargain rack cheapos, they were bought at an optician shop, designer frames that are long since discontinued but still look sharp and have single vision prescription lenses not much only about a -1.25 left and -1 right but they bring my distance vision from 20/30 to 20/20 and make me look good in the process
cool.gif
They are well worth fixing.

I also have assorted uses "around the house" from time to time for the described upgrade to super glue.

The glue needs to be ready to use and not a two part mix-it-together before use epoxy. And finally, the dispenser needs to keep it from hardening up after use-- every single tubelet of "super Glue" I've ever had always was only good for use the first few times within a month or two then the nozzle would dry solid as diamonds and it's done after having only dispensed maybe 20% of product content.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I'm looking for something a little beyond and better than standard issue 100% ethyl cyanoacrylate.

I don't think the recipe changes much between manufacturing plants.

You need to look into various epoxies, honestly.
Cyanoacrylate adhesives are not what you want.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I've ever had always was only good for use the first few times within a month or two then the nozzle would dry solid as diamonds and it's done after having only dispensed maybe 20% of product content.

Get a broken guitar string piece to poke the hole open again.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: RTexasF
http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-clear-grip

+1 It's like Franks Red Hot Sauce, I use that on everything.

LoL, funny description but sounds like the ticket. Does the dispenser keep it ready to use and not let it cure and harden up in the nozzle?

The trick may be in the application. Put a drop somewhere and use a toothpick to apply to your eyeglasses.

I really like Loctite GO2 glue. It dries clear, can fill gaps, is slightly flexible, water resistant, UV resistant etc. It does take 24 hours to gain its full strength. It’s a combination polyurethane/polyoxsilane glue. It’s held my rear view mirror to the windshield for at least a year and a half now and I’ve used it around the house also. It hasn’t dried out and comes in a nice little tube (the gel version - what I have), or the regular comes in a superglue type bottle.
Glue

Gel

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
I really like Loctite GO2 glue. It dries clear, can fill gaps, is slightly flexible, water resistant, UV resistant etc. It does take 24 hours to gain its full strength. It’s a combination polyurethane/polyoxsilane glue. It’s held my rear view mirror to the windshield for at least a year and a half now and I’ve used it around the house also. It hasn’t dried out and comes in a nice little tube (the gel version - what I have), or the regular comes in a superglue type bottle.
Glue

Gel

I second this. More flexible and durable than plain superglue. It also works well on a variety of materials..in fact yesterday it helped me save trim on an older recessed light; aside from the now fixed hidden mounting tab they look great and now I don't have to replace a set to match.

Only cautions; the glue is somewhat thick bodied so use sparingly and expect squeezeout and it takes along time to fully cure.

Loctite Industrial( red bottle like other Loctite products) has one that I always found to be better than most other off the shelf Super Glue.

Maxi-Cure - has a pink label and top and is resold/relabled by Bob Smith Industries or Parts Express. It's the best all around cyanoacrylate I've found and what I use daily for battery pack assembly and rebuilds. It's a little thicker and doesn't run like standard superglue, but unlike most thicker cyanoacrylates, it sets up solid (not rubbery) and super fast. If I take two shrinkwrapped cells (say a couple AA's) put a dab on the side, they grab together within 5 seconds and are solid and ready to be tack-welded after 5 minutes. Works great on plastic, metal, and even glass (I've made a cocktail of powdered copper and maxi-cure to fix a broken rear-defroster tab - holds better than solder due to not heat-stressing the conductive layer on the glass.)

A 1/2oz or 1oz bottle runs about $6 on amazon or eBay. Even in a professional setting, used almost daily, a 1oz bottle lasts me months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back