Filter Minder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any tips for installing a Filter Minder?

I bought it because the Journey seems to go through filters like crazy and they aren't cheap so I would like to run them as long as possible.

-Should I try to under drill the hole in the air-box slightly for a tight seal?
-Maybe silicone around the grommet?

I got the K&N one that tops out at 10"

That doesn't answer my question. It just talks about drilling a 11/32 hole and installing as per directions included along with the provided grease. Not about under drilling slightly and/or silicone or maybe some other tip folks can provide.

Last edited:
My bad for trying. Lesson learned here. If time permitted I'd delete previous post but timed out. Mods feel free to delete my posts on this thread.

No it's fine, thanks for posting the link. I had read that though...
cheers3.gif

You can very slightly under-size the hole for a tighter fit or just use some K&N air filter grease around the grommet. Nothing special about the grease, but it was the most readily available and cheapest I could find online. My PSD came with a filter minder from the factory and I added some filter grease the first time I changed the air filter.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Measure the sealing surface then drill a hole about .050 smaller. When you put the gauge in it wil expand the grommet. No sealer needed.

I was thinking a 21/64 hole instead of the 11/32. My dad has odd size bits.

I used one of those step drill bits and didn’t need grease. I originally had the k&n version but it would max out on a brand new OEM filter so I went with a wix that goes up to 25” h2o

My biggest concern would be to get the best seal around grommet.
That means you need a perfectly round hole.

I would rule out using a regular two flute drill bit.
I've sometimes used those on thin sheet-metal and actually had a triangle shaped hole when finished.

As another poster said, use a Step Drill Bit.
That will give you a nice round hole.
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=step+drill+bit

Clean off any burrs and apply a little Silicon Grease for easy installation.

Last edited:
I have a step drill bit, what I might do is do the 21/64 hole with a standard bit and then clean the hole with a step bit but not let it get to the 11/32 hole they ask you to drill so that this way it's as tight/round as possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Any tips for installing a Filter Minder?

I bought it because the Journey seems to go through filters like crazy and they aren't cheap so I would like to run them as long as possible.

-Should I try to under drill the hole in the air-box slightly for a tight seal?
-Maybe silicone around the grommet?

I got the K&N one that tops out at 10"

I installed the same gauge and found the 11/16" hole is perfectly sized for the supplied grommet. A little K&N grease around the grommet and on the filter minder assures a perfect seal.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Silicone grease should be no where near your air intake. Please use the K&N grease which is designed to be safe near MAF sensors.

Here's my post on the install: Filter Minder Install

HTH

My Journey doesn't have a MAF. Only a MAP / Air Temperature sensor and the air temperature sensor is coated in a ceramic glaze. I'm good!

I hate to burst your bubble, StevieC ..... but you will never draw 10"Hg on your Dodge Journey filter.
If you do... It will be completely caked clogged (& I'll bet it is near-collapse)

If you were to take your airbox and hook up several shop vacs to it, and try to pull 10"HG on it,
I'll bet you destroy your air filter from the force before you reach 10"HG

It does a good job warping the filter upwards and pulling all sorts of sand and other debris deep into the pleats. I even found a cigarette butt in there once which is weird because the air tubing picks up the air between the hood and front grill. Challenge Accepted!
lol.gif

Last edited:
I just looked up '15 Dodge Journey Air filter - it is a flat panel.

You will MOST CERTAINLY destroy it if you place a force of 10"hg on it.

Also - think about this: The only time you NEED all of the air filter flow is when at 100% throttle and at max HP.
All of the other time at part throttle, it typically flows many orders of magnitude more than what your engine needs.

How much time do you really spend at 100% throttle and at max HP?

The filter minders are really meant for large turbo diesels,
which DO/can spend HOURS at a time making max boost/max torque.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Challenge Accepted!
lol.gif

It'll certainly be an educational experience.

I'd like to see the engineering data behind the design parameters of the factory airbox & filter assembly.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I just looked up '15 Dodge Journey Air filter - it is a flat panel.

You will MOST CERTAINLY destroy it if you place a force of 10"hg on it.

Also - think about this: The only time you NEED all of the air filter flow is when at 100% throttle and at max HP.
All of the other time at part throttle, it typically flows many orders of magnitude more than what your engine needs.

How much time do you really spend at 100% throttle and at max HP?

The filter minders are really meant for large turbo diesels,
which DO/can spend HOURS at a time making max boost/max torque.

A lot because it's a gutless 4-banger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex

It'll certainly be an educational experience.

I'd like to see the engineering data behind the design parameters of the factory airbox & filter assembly.

It can stay in the green forever all I care, I just care that I have an indicator of restriction so I don't have to replace it needlessly at the ridiculous price they charge for the stupid things here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back